001 ➜ SIERRA

Darkness. . .                               . . .Darkness

Coldness. . .                                . . .Coldness

Loneliness. . .                              . . .Loneliness

Darkness. . .                                    . . .Darkness

Coldness. . .                                     . . .Coldness

Loneliness. . .                                  . . .Loneliness

Darkness. . .                                    . . .Darkness

Coldness. . .                                     . . .Coldness

Loneliness. . .                                  . . .Loneliness

Darkness. . .                                    . . .Darkness

Coldness. . .                                     . . .Coldness

Loneliness. . .                                  . . .Loneliness

Darkness. . .                                    . . .Darkness

Coldness. . .                                     . . .Coldness

Loneliness. . .                              . . .Loneliness

THAT IS ALL I FELT FOR A WHILE, since when? I did not know. But that is what I felt. And that is that.

It was only then that another sensation had been added. It was a sickly, stuffy feeling wrapping my every fibre of being. I did not like this feeling. I wanted to escape. But how? I did not know. Yet.

It seemed my body did however as it responded to my thoughts and scrammed the air. But the air was no more. Instead, the air was revealed to be a wall. A blockage that refused my endless attacks.

I did not like it's unmoving attitude. I did not like it's ability to block me. I did not like the void of a wall.

My body reacted again. This time, it bit. My being jerked forward. Why? I did not know. But it did. And it worked. I think. The endless void was no longer. It was now shown to be a lot smaller, I felt trapped. . .

My body lunged out again. And again. And again. I did not stop— no. I did not allow myself to stop until I was out. It took a while, I was tired. I had never been tired before. It was a strange feeling, not like the sticky feeling or the coldness. This feeling was inside of me, it did not leave and it did not move.

I did not like this feeling either. It stopped me seeing the light. Every now and again, the wall would be fixed and then it wasn't.

The wall surrounding me had cracked even more, there was a jagged hole at the top but it would not fit me. I did not need to try it out to know, it would fit my head and that's it.

But I was tired. I was tired and the sticky liquid was getting me agitated. Frustrating tingles skimmed over body, they came then they went. Over and over again, it told me I needed to move, But there is no where to go.

A noise. I could hear a noise, it was enticing. Very enticing. I could smell the noise and I could taste the noise. I did not know how. But I did.

It tasted bad. I did not like the noise.

If I got out of the wall, would it stop? I believe it wouldn't but I also believe it will. My thoughts are hurting me and now my eyes are tingling too.

I did not like it.

I wanted to go back to nothing, back to when I knew nothing. Knowledge comes to me yet I do not understand what it means.

My head hurts.

The liquid has gotten worse, it used to be so welcoming yet now . . . Now, it was foreign.

Foreign. . . I did not understand what foreign is. Is it I that is foreign to the liquid or Is it the liquid that is foreign to me?

Why do I know? What do I know? How do I know? What is giving me this knowledge? Is it the liquid? But the liquid is food. It is my embryo. My egg . . . I see, I'm in an egg. Is the egg giving me information? I do not yet know.

I must get out. Yes. That is what I know.

I slammed against the wall, the noises getting louder. I know I am close to leaving this suffocating egg.

I smell me. Many of me,  but how? I am me, not them.

Who are they? If not me, then who?

I slammed into the egg wall again, this time successfully escaping, my body rolled onto the cold white ground. It was not comfortable, and the lights blinded me. And it was suddenly then that the egg seemed so homely and lovely and so incandescently me.

But I aimed and I achieved.

I had escaped and no amount of persuasion from my instincts could get me back in there.

"Doctor! She's hatched!" Another being whispered excitedly. But why? I am me, why would you be surprised? Was I not meant to escape? But I had, so what could they do now? I had refused to stop and I escaped. Did I not deserve to escape? If not, then why is he so surprised at me escaping? The being called it hatching. I had hatched. I had hatched and there was nothing anyone could do about it.

The being does not smell of me and I believe they do not look like me either. They have long smooth claws, I have sharp scaly claws.

I knew then suddenly, It's a he. How I knew? I believe it was his scent. His scent says he's a boy. My scent says I'm a girl. And that's that. Is that how he knew I was a girl or does he not get that special instinct. Something told me he didn't and I believed it.

He wore a white cloth over himself but before I could entertain myself by watching his excitement another man entered.

I see, he is the one who I could taste. His bad taste still lingered in my mouth. But, he is not my brethren either. If not him, then who smelt like me?

"Im surprised the asset made it, look at its body compared to its sisters. This asset is the runt," he said, his eyes narrowed at me. I had decided then, I did not like this man. But the man did not like me either.

"Check it's stability, make sure it won't die on us. This has cost us over 5 million to make, we cannot lose this progress," the doctor called me it. But I am not it. I am she. So why do you call me it? I do not know. I know I'm valued though, he does not want me to die, but he does not expect me to live.

Then I shall prove him wrong. I shall survive and become strong. I will be the runt. I will be the runt that will survive and become strong.

I shall survive.

That is my new goal.