Sixteen

A few days have passed since my last encounter with my mother, she invited me to lunch the day after the reading which I politely declined, I do not need any more of her trying to convince me to give more of what I inherited to my brother. It is not my fault that my father chose to give what he gave to me, but we all know why he did it, though nobody wants to admit it, they know it.

Our father despised Jason, even when it seemed like he didn't, most of the time my father would love to hang out with me and Matthew even though he may be 18 years older than me, but we always had fun, and when my mother started to tell my father it wasn't fair that we did all the things we did without Jason it made my father very upset, which was the first of many times he left and stayed at the office overnight.

They thought we didn't notice him leaving, but we did, and even if we wanted to talk about it we never did, because that is what we do in this family, we don't talk about things, that's also why Matthew hasn't brought up any of the things he wants to bring up with me. Our father's death and experiencing it so close changed me, and my way of looking at things, the year in therapy, and the force of having to talk about it made me realize that talking is better than keeping quiet.

Matthew always thought that he and Jason should've had therapy as well but my mother didn't want to pay for it, the only reason I got it was because it was mandatory by the state, just like if one were to try and commit suicide, they would also be forced into therapy.

I've never been one for therapy which I probably have from my father, he had always expressed how much he hated both therapy and therapists. When my aunt brought up marriage counseling for him and my mother at a Christmas dinner in 2015 all hell broke loose and we left just after opening gifts.

"Lizzie!" I yell as I walk down the stairs. Today is Saturday so everybody should be home.

"Yeah?" She yells back as I enter the kitchen, I sit by the kitchen island and get handed a cup of coffee, I smile and thank her.

"Can I have friends over either this or next weekend?" I take a sip from my cup and look at her with the cup on my lips, she shrugs and my brother walks in. "Ask him," she says and Matthew looks at us both confused which makes us laugh.

"Can I have some friends over next weekend?" I ask repeating myself and lean on my elbows while batting my eyelashes at him.

"Fine, but! There have to be ground rules, especially if it's going to be inside,"  He says and points a finger and me while looking over at Lizzie who agrees with him. 

"I guess that's fair, you can come back to me with the list or whatever way you wanna document it," I shrug and grab a juice box from the fridge. 

Lizzie laughs, "The way you are drinking the juice makes you look like a child," She says and hugs me from the side and looks over at my brother, the look in her eye is something I haven't seen in a very long time, the love flooding her eyes as she looks at him and the smile gliding onto his lips as he looks at her is something I will forever be jealous of. 

"By the way, I need you to refill the prescription," I say and spill juice on myself. 

"How about swallowing the juice in your mouth before speaking next time?" He says and I wipe my face with my sleeve. 

"Last time I checked the bottle was half full, and that was Monday, aka 6 days ago," Lizzie points out and removes her arm from my shoulder. Matthew furrows his brow and looks at me. 

"Look, my hip is killing me and I just need the pain to go away for a few hours a day that's all I'm asking, and for what it's worth this is the last refill so it doesn't really matter," I say and hand him the bottle, as empty as Lizzie said it was.