Prologue

written: 12.27.22-04.15.23
edited: 02.18.24-02.24.24

Once upon a time...

"Abre los ojos. Open your eyes."

Miguel Madrigal opened his eyes from behind his big green glasses, a bowtie on his chest and a small smile on his face. He gasped when he saw the candle in front of him being held by his grandmother. The very same candle that had given the Madrigals their powers.

"Is this where the magic comes from?" he asked excitedly.

"Mmhm," Alma hummed. "This candle holds the miracle that was given to our family."

"How did we get the miracle?" Miguel asked innocently, tilting his head to the side so that his curls fell.

She pulled her grandson onto her lap. With a sigh, she began to relive her pain. "Long ago, when my three babies had just been born, your Abuelo Pedro and I were forced to flee our home."

-

With braids in her hair, young Alma Madrigal ran out of their now previous village with her husband as he held the candle to guide their way, cradling her triplets in her arms.

And though many joined us hoping to find a new home...we could not escape the dangers.

-

Seeing that they were being followed by the bandits, Pedro held out his arms, ready to make peace with them. But they were dead set on getting their way.

And your abuelo was lost.

As Pedro was gone, Alma looked down sadly, still holding her babies in her arms.

But in our darkest moment...we were given...a miracle.

The candle that Pedro had once held began to glow. As she looked at the ground, a floor began to appear.

-

"The candle became a magical flame that could never go out and it blessed us with refuge in which to live. A place of wonder..."

"An Encanto..." Miguel breathed.

Nodding, she agreed, "An Encanto."

-

A house had sprouted from the ground, one of magic and wonder. Around her and the rest of the villagers, mountains sprang from the earth.

The miracle grew. And our house - our casita itself - came alive to shelter us.

The house, coming to life, opened and closed itself, then waved to Alma and the triplets as they squeaked with delight. Awkwardly, she waved back with a small smile.

-

When my children came of age, the miracle blessed each with a magic gift to help us.

Three went into their new doors with three unique gifts.

-

"And when their children came of age..."

"They got magic, too!"

-

There were three girls and a boy not much older than Miguel who went into doors with gifts of their own.

-

"That's right. And together, our family's gifts have made our new home...a paradise." Alma smiled down as the little boy with only love. "Tonight, this candle will give you your gift, mi vida. Strengthen our community. Strengthen our home. Make your family proud."

With the same smile, he looked off, repeating to himself to confirm. "Make my family proud."

Impatiently, Casita brought over a clock that read that it was seven o'clock. Chuckling, Alma confirmed, "Yes, yes, Casita. We're going."

It then brought over his dress shoes. Giggling, Miguel got into his shoes held onto his grandmother's arm as they made their way to the door, excitedly asking, "What do you think my gift will be?"

Alma bent next to him, encouraging, "You are a wonder, Miguel Madrigal. Whatever gift awaits will be just as special as you."

-

Once the curtains went up, Miguel was off to his door. He approached, a little nervous, but mostly excited as everyone watched. He touched the candle, then turned to his brand-new door, wiped his hands on his suit shirt, then reached for the doorknob as it glowed brighter.

ALL OF YOU