Surface Pressure

A roof tile suddenly fell on the ground with a loud clanking sound. Miguel, startled, turned to it, confused. Their house could not break. It was magical, after all. He bent over to inspect it, cutting his palm. "Ow!" he cried as blood ran to the wound. But he could not inspect it, as he noticed a tile having a seizure elsewhere. "Casita...?" he whispered, the urgency of his realization slowly dawning on him. His hand reached out for it, a crack splitting through the floor. It grew into more cracks lining the floor, up the stairs.

The candle in Alma's window grew dimmer, flickering, Miguel looking at it, terrified.

-

Everyone danced around in Antonio's new room, except Julieta, who passed around the food. Isabela tried to grab Y/n's hands to swing them, but she kept pulling away.

"Look, I just wanted punch. I have to get back to Miguel."

"Ugh, it's only because you like him," Isabela scoffed before tangling her hands up in vines and forcing them into hers. "There you go, mami chula." She grabbed her hands and swung her around, Félix nodding next to them.

"There you go, N/n! Tirame un paso! Weap!"

Just as she was beginning to loosen up a tiny bit and enjoy herself, Miguel burst through the door, calling, "THE HOUSE IS IN DANGER! THE HOUSE IS IN DANGER!"

Everybody stopped to look at Miguel, Alma looking extremely concerned as she was being told her worst nightmare was coming true. Isabela and Y/n's hands were still in the air, paused in motion.

Still out of breath, he panted, "The tiles were falling and there were cracks everywhere and...the candle almost went out."

Wrapping her shawl around herself, Alma demanded, "Show me."

But when he led her and the rest of the town out, the cracks were gone and the room was as it was before, the candle still burning.

"What? No, that's...the cracks were there! They were everywhere! The house was in trouble, the - the candle was..."

Most of the family looked at him in concern while Isabela dramatically rolled her eyes, earning a hard slap on the arm from Y/n.

"Abuela, I promise," he begged before Alma's hand went up, silencing him.

"That's enough." She turned back to the town, saying confidently, "There is nothing wrong with La Casa Madrigal! The magic is strong! And so are the drinks!"

"He's not drunk..." Y/n mumbled under her breath, only heard by Isabela - and technically Dolores - who said nothing in return, not wanting to make her more angry...and maybe feeling like Miguel had had enough after that.

Alma clapped for the piano. "Please, music! A bailar! A bailar!"

Luisa carried the piano over to Agustín, who began playing to appease his mother-in-law, trying to make things less awkward for Miguel. But Isabela, not quite done after all, scoffed in his direction one more time.

Once it had cleared out a bit, Y/n walked down the stairs to the plaza and to Miguel. "Miguel, did you really...?"

He looked around at the house, still perfectly intact, then shrugged sadly. "Who cares anymore?" he asked before walking away from the party. "Have fun at the party, N/n. Hopefully, I'll see you tomorrow."

After he had disappeared into the kitchen, Y/n hesitantly made her way back up the stairs, already knowing she would have to hear Isabela's snide remarks about her awkward, clumsy, giftless younger brother.