Chapter Three:

As I slowly walked out of the Deadly Seven Temple, I remembered the first time I said those words. "I accept." It wasn't for the opportunity to find a soul to murder, to appease He who controls the sinister desires in a mortal's heart. It was the chance to beat death. Either I took His hand and allowed the source of sin to consume my soul or gave in to the plague devouring my skin.

I chose the less painful option.

Was it less painful, Octavio? A soul is so precious.

As the temple doors shut behind me, I rubbed my ear. Loneliness came with voices. Thoughts. And at this point in my life, I couldn't tell if they were mine or a conscience my body wished it had. They were sometimes pleasant and soothing, feeding stories that lulled me to sleep. Other times, they made me feel regret and guilt; they reminded me of what I deserved.

But what was that? Shit. Complete, utter shit. I just wanted the voices to stop.

"Octavio!" The temple doors opened, slammed shut, and quick steps hurried behind me. With my finger still in my ear, I turned back to see Gluttony approaching me. I grimaced, finding a good spot to scratch.

Gluttony's steps matched mine. "I think you need to turn this down," he said. "There's still a chance."

Pulling my finger free, I glanced at my nail before shoving my hands into my pockets. I focused on the alleyway ahead of us. The moon overhead was my light. "There isn't," I said. "I accepted, and I will do it."

Gluttony kicked at a can as the alley opened, leading us back into the city. "You don't understand what you're doing," he said.

"And you don't understand." The pavement under our feet changed. Glancing back, I no longer saw the obsidian temple with its single tower ripping through the clouds. I saw an alley and a rat the size of a small cat. I shook my head in disgust.

"What don't I understand?" Gluttony blocked the view. It didn't matter. It wasn't much to look at. "Do you think I've forgotten your chance at freedom? How I helped you get away."

Rolling my eyes, I turned and looked at the city streets. Packed with traffic, the cars were at a standstill.

"Getting away and hiding in a dark immortal life is not freedom, John." I turned onto the sidewalk. "I've been isolated and alone for too long."

"But you're alive," he said, following after me. "You're breathing."

I stopped at a street corner, not wanting to look at him. I made eye contact with a woman sitting in the passenger side of a car stuck at the light. She smiled and wiggled her fingers. I only nodded.

"You're still here because of me—"

"I am alone." I turned sharply, facing him. "I have no one. You have the others. I have my thoughts, whiskey, and the occasional animal I keep as a pet until it passes. I watch death around me, and I cannot die." Breathing heavily, I stepped closer to his chest. "I cannot live because I cannot die. I am stuck in limbo, Gluttony."

He looked at my face for a while, silent. The cars beside us moved finally. A few impatiently honked. Gluttony eventually shifted when the next set of cars reached the red light. "You said thoughts," he whispered. "What kind of thoughts?"

He cares about you, Octavio. He always has.

"It doesn't matter." I didn't want to have this conversation. Pride said he'd text me the location of the soul. And once I got it, that was my destination. No talking. No distractions.

"No," he followed close behind me, "I need to know if these are your thoughts? Or voices?" he sighed. "Please, tell me what they sound like."

Just sacrifice, blood, and acceptance.