Chapter Thirteen:

1873

"They're here," Priscilla whimpered.

I cursed under my breath. I hadn't even accepted the offer to save her, yet there they were, the criminals she feared. Cursing the fact that she wasn't my responsibility to protect, I willed that curse to find her father wherever he was. To leave his daughter alone just outside the town was irresponsible, disgusting, and vile.

And I was the Sin? Compared to him, at this moment, I was an angel.

Shrugging off my cloak, I placed it on the chair beside her table. She remained behind her near the fire. Her hands were on her lip.

With a sigh, I looked back at her. "Have they harmed you before?" I asked.

She shook her head. "No, but they have circled the house and taken the hay outside."

I cocked a brow. "The hay?"

She nodded.

And I sighed again. "Wonderful."

Petty, malicious thieves.

A knock came at the door. Not gentle but not violent. Enough to get a person's quick attention.

They had mine.

"Young miss," a voice said outside, "your father asked us to check on you."

I looked at her to confirm if it was true, but I knew it wasn't, especially after she shook her head so vigorously. Licking my lips, I looked back at the door. I wondered if I should alert them of my presence, but then they'd run. And if they have done this before, they'd do it again.

'Does it matter if you're going to kill her?"

"Priscilla," I whispered, looking into her bright eyes, "can you please hide in the room?"

"My father's room?" Her eyes widened. "But if he comes home—"

"If he comes home, he'll die because these men will kill him. You are here, and I will protect you." I pointed at the open door. "So, please hide. Priscilla."

She bit her lip briefly but started to shimmy her way from the fire. When the knock came again, harder than the last, she jumped and looked at me with frightened eyes. "And what of you? I did not think they'd come so quickly, and I wouldn't want you to be in danger, I—"

"Hide." I pointed at the room again. "Do not worry about me."

She listened without argument, which made walking to her front door simple. With her being in the bedroom, she wouldn't see my speed, my demonic powers, and the horrible ways I'd dismember these men. And when I opened the door to see a trio in front of me, I smirked; they wouldn't see me either.

"There's a man here!" the thief in the middle complained. "I thought you said—"

I reached out, snatching him by his neck. It didn't matter what he had to say or who said what. I was here, and it was their end. They'd die, here and now, for being horrible mortals enthralled by sins.

He gasped as I squeezed, forcing the life out of his body. His friends stepped back but didn't run. They watched as I dipped my head to one side. My teeth extended, sharpening at the tips, and I trailed my tongue over them until I drew blood—for impact. Be scared and plead with your God.

"He's a demon!" the thief in the back shouted.

I smirked and looked up at the first of my victims of the night. "Not quite," I said. "But you all are thieves, aren't you?"