Chapter Thirty-One:

Silence fell over the Temple's space. Sins looked at each other, curious, nervous gazes meeting and holding with need, with urgency. I avoided those looks and held onto the only pair of eyes I needed to see—Priscilla's.

This was worse than when I saw the life leave her body a hundred years ago. Then, I knew it'd been my mistake, and I could do nothing about it. Yet, now, I felt like I had the opportunity to stop her, to save her. But the look of determination in her eyes, brightened by the golden hue of her aura, quickly broke through my hope of becoming her salvation.

She would become us, wouldn't she? And there was nothing I could do to stop it.

She kissed me and turned to walk toward our Mistress, but I grabbed her arm and asked, "Are you sure you want this?" Because I needed to be sure she wouldn't throw her soul away.

She moved so she grabbed my hand, and gently linked our fingers. "I'm sure," she said in the softest voice.

That was it. I knew she made up her mind. And as Gabriel said, there was no arguing with her. Once her mind was made, there was no going back. I should've remembered it from experience, but I suppose I chose to ignore that fact.

To willingly walk into the dark... I gave up my life because if I hadn't, I would've died.

Priscilla willingly walked into the dark with the thought of others in mind.

Her soul is pure for a reason.

"Come then, child." Our Mistress slowly extended an arm to Priscilla. She wasn't okay with the situation by her slow movements, but He had spoken. He liked Priscilla's determination, and if that was enough for him, then it had to be enough for her, too.

"Okay." Nervously peeling away from me, Priscilla grabbed our Mistress' hand. Her fingers linked between the shadow's as she took a step forward.

Misstress' featureless face dipped to one side as she observed Priscilla's body language. "Are you sure this is what you want? Your soul is precious, and to give it up so quickly... "

Priscilla turned her gaze to the lady of darkness. "I know. Everyone wants my soul," she said. "I know it's precious."

A quiet tsk tsk tsk hit the air. Our Mistress' arm wrapped around Priscilla's shoulder. "I meant all souls are precious, regardless of purity. I only want to know if you understand your position."

Gritting her teeth, Priscilla looked up at the shadow expressing concern. "I'll learn," she said. "No one's perfect, but if I fill Pride's shoes with my own and can help restore balance, I am all for it." She smiled. "I believe in opportunities for everyone, regardless of the situation."

I never thought I'd see a shadow lift their brows, but our Mistress did, right before she looked up at His hand. "This is what you admire, isn't it?" she asked him. "If so, present her sin."

The Mistress of darkness stepped away from Priscilla as His hand lowered, fingers extending before her. On the center was a black orb, pulsating and trembling with sparks of red light. I remembered that sphere and the pain that followed. Sometimes, it painfully resonated in my nightmares, itching all over my skin.

I inched forward, clenching my jaw, fists at my side. As Priscilla moved toward the orb, my heart hammered in my chest.

"This will take your soul and bring it to me," our Sire said, his deep voice rumbling throughout the temple. "And in exchange for it and its place, I'll grant you the power of Pride."

"Okay," Priscilla squeaked. Yet, despite her nervousness, her hand shot out to the orb with no fear. When her fingers broke through the darkness, black swirled up her arm. Her eyes widened as she leaned back. She gasped when it reached her shoulder and neck.

Fearful eyes looked back at me. "Octavio," she whispered.

I stepped forward, but Gluttony's hand landed on my shoulder, holding me in place. "This is her choice," he said. "Let her."

My chest tightened as Priscilla's face contorted in pain, teeth clenching, jaw cracking. The darkness from the orb slid over her chest. Her body lifted off the ground as the realm's magic took over.

Gabriel came opposite of Gluttony. He sighed and shook his head. "This is what she wants," he said through gritted teeth.

I knew it was what she wanted, but it didn't mean I could watch this. Watch her die as her soul leaves her body. If it were up to me, she wouldn't be in this situation; I wish there was another way.

"Priscilla..." as I said her name, her body arched back. White light brightened her chest as a golden orb slid up around her heart and up her throat. She screamed, tears streaming down her cheeks.

And I couldn't stay and watch.

"Priscilla!" I rushed forward into His circle. My hand shot out to hers. When I touched her skin, a burning shock slid up my arm. "Fuck..." I hissed.

Our Mistress stepped toward us and shook her head. "This trial is for her to bear."

"I know." Despite what our Mistress said, I clenched my jaw and squeezed Priscilla's hand. "I need her to know I'm here." Glancing at Priscilla's tearful face, the orb's darkness spread over us. "I'm here, Priscilla! Do you hear me!"

She sucked in a painful breath, gasping and choking on her soul as if left her body.

I squeezed her hand again. "I'm not going anywhere. Never again." Emotion built up in my chest as I thought back to the first night I left her side a hundred years ago, leaving her alone, allowing Gluttony to kill her in her sleep. If I had stayed, we wouldn't have been separated. But I wouldn't let that happen again. Never again.

I knelt beside where she hovered and closed my eyes. "I will be by your side for eternity." I looked up at her. "Just like you wanted and deserve."

The dark magic quickly slid up her body when she nodded, and with a push, the black orb pressed into her mouth, replacing her soul. And as soon as the swirls vanished, her body dropped. With me beneath her, she landed on my lap, and immediately, I wrapped my arm around her and held her close.

"Octavio," she coughed.

I kissed her forehead. "I'm here, Priscilla. And I'm not going anywhere. Ever."

The Sins seated in their chairs rose, slowly approaching Priscilla and me. Our Mistress stepped back, placing her small, delicate hand on top of our Sire's massive hand, still open in the center of the temple. She watched as the Seven circled us, standing in front of their seats. Gluttony moved and followed suit, standing in front of him with his hand on his chest.

Our Mistress looked at me with a subtle nod. Priscilla needed to go to Pride's seat—her seat. Knowing after consuming the sin, she'd be too weak to stand. So I lifted her in my arms, cradling her close to my chest, as I took her to her place within the Seven.

"Octavio," she breathed as she looked up at me, "did I do it?"

"You did," I brushed the hair from her forehead as I kneeled in front of her seat, "and you did well."

I gently placed her down, and she recoiled her hands.

I shook my head. "It won't burn you. This seat is yours," I said.

"It is," she whispered, leaning back.

She looked comfortable and content. Her head fell back against the demon metal with ease. I bowed my head on top of her knee before I stood and walked backward, my eyes never leaving hers.

Envy's seat—my seat—was directly across from hers. My position within the Seven's circle never concerned me until now; to sit across from the woman I love.

"Welcome, Pride," the Seven said in unison.

"Welcome," I whispered with a small smile.