Chapter Eighteen

1873

After a week of walking, a week of darting through the woods and trails of the mortal lands, I found I didn't want to leave. I didn't want to do my mission. It was easy, yes, to kill her and transfer her soul. But if I ventured through this world as her companion and no one came to apprehend us—mortal or demon—then what harm was it to continue this way? Couldn't I live with this goodness at my side?

"Octavio." Priscilla leaned against a tree and stared into the small town down the hill. "Are you sure we need to rest there? The trees have been wonderful."

I lifted my brows and looked at her. I quietly chuckled. Priscilla was adamant about avoiding towns and keeping to the shadows that became our refuge. But it had been days since she had a proper meal, days without a bath. It would be cruel not to allow her these basic necessities.

"You're hungry," I said. "I can hear your body demanding food. You're also in need of a bath."

Her jaw dropped, mouth opening wide. Her small gasp echoed. "Are you saying that I smell?"

I laughed, stepping towards the small village at the bottom of the slope. "I'd never say that." Turning, I extended my hand to help her walk with me. "But I want you to be comfortable, at least for a night."

A small smile tugged at her lips. She appreciated my effort; I was happy to do it. I spent hundreds of years committing crimes against humanity and the goodness of a mortal soul. To be on the other side of darkness, closer to the light, was exhilarating.

Guiding her down the hill was a breeze. With the village asleep, we were able to sneak into the house on the far left with no inhabitants; I spent two days scouting to see if anyone had returned. It was as silent as the night. Pushing the door open to see its emptiness confirmed it.

"Does someone live here?" Priscilla whispered, stepping inside. I quickly followed and shut the door behind her. She glanced back at me with curious eyes. "Will they return and find us trespassing?"

"No one's been to this house in some time." I smiled and motioned to the far end of the room. "You will be fine to use the bath."

"Oh?" Priscilla followed my finger and hurried to the other end of the small house. The bath was in the next connecting room, a tub with decorative legs like a lion. As she approached it, she covered her mouth and stopped. "Octavio, it's been filled." She looked back at me. "And smells of perfumes. Are you sure someone isn't coming home?"

"No one will be here." Pushing off the door, I slowly approached her. "I filled this for you because I knew you needed this. Your health and well-being depend on this."

Her smile warmed my skin as she nodded, silently agreeing with me. Facing the water, she slid her hands slowly over her neck to lift her hair up and away from her back. She shot me a glance. "Could you help me undress?"

My heart stopped for a moment. "You... need my assistance?"

"Yes," she giggled, "there is a ribbon at the top, here." She pointed at it with one fingering, gesturing to the bow, now dirtied by days of adventure. "I can tie it, but I always struggle to take it down. It'll catch in my hair sometimes, and," she shrugged, and I caught the light shining on her skin, "I would greatly appreciate it."

I gulped. The bow looked simple. But who was I to question her clothing?

I reached for the bow and gently pulled the ribbon loose. "I will leave as you bathe," I said. "I'll be just outside to make sure all is well."