15| Mark of Arousal

Aurelia

I wondered if he was getting tired of my incessant need to fill up the silence between us, but even as the hours passed by in this car—my mate never once showed me an ounce of irritation as I relayed all my unfiltered thoughts to him.

My anxiousness was obvious as my words flew out my mouth, the soul bond tightening around us the more I seemed to reveal about myself. It was all a clump of consciousness building a bridge between the will of our wolves. It was everything I might have said to him last night if my mouth hadn't been filled to the brim with him and then stuck moaning out a melody when he'd taken to burying his head between my thighs.

My arousal for him spiked all over again at the sheer memory of it. I shifted in my seat knowing that he had sensed the subconscious train of my thoughts, and I watched his body tense from his shoulders to his knees.

He was deliberately making an effort to ignore my neediness, and even though I enjoyed his presence when he wasn't making an effort to fill me, my wolf was sulking.

Only good little mates get rewards.

I recanted his words over and over again.

I wanted to be good and I wanted to be rewarded for it, so I pressed my legs together and did my best to ignore the ache inside of me—using my words to distract myself as much as I could.

In the sanctuary, the only person who ever really made an effort to listen to me was Meena. I would talk for hours in-between classes and whilst we did our chores, but unlike me I knew that she favoured silence more than meaningless conversation—she'd usually have to tell me to stop talking at some point, and then I'd be left simmering with my own thoughts, bouncing back and forth between my dreams and my unworthiness.

If she was here now she'd be happy for me more than anyone else I ever knew, and then she'd tell me that I needed to get a grip.

Adriel was listening to me like every word I said was just as important as every breath he took, and it wasn't like he was pretending to be interested either.

Every time I told him a story from my childhood his lips would tug upwards into a smile, and when my ramblings were getting a little too much to handle his brows would draw together in confusion before he'd ask me a flurry of questions to ground my conversation once again, but the best reaction of them all was when he thought I said something funny—his shoulders would shake as he'd turn to look at me and then he'd reward me with a softened laugh.

I had only known him for a couple of days now, and no one had ever made me feel as at ease as he had—even if he was still refusing to complete the mate bond with me.

Even with the windows pulled down and the breeze rushing past us, my scent mingled with his own as it stuck to the interior of this car, and I knew his wolf could feel the effect of it. Our bodies were craving each other, and there was only so much distraction that could keep me out of heat and his wolf from his need to rut.

For the most part, I admired the control he was able to display. I knew it was harder for Alphas to restrain their urges in front of their mates, but surely this must have been torture for him.

Every time I squeezed my legs together his grip on the steering wheel would tighten, the strength of my aroused scent repurposing around us just when we thought we had become accustomed to it. His hand on my thigh wasn't enough to satiate me, but I needed to be good—I didn't want him to get annoyed at me again.

"Do you leave your pack often?" I asked him, watching as he shook his head before I turned to my window. I rested my arms against the edge taking some reprieve in the way the cold air hit my cheeks. It would help me take my mind off the burning sensation in the base of my stomach, but I knew that the distraction wouldn't last too long.