26| Mark of Guilt

Adriel

Aurelia couldn't cope with the absence of my touch for very long, she sought it out as much as she could—clinging to me, coveting me, caging herself to my body almost as if she was afraid I would forget she existed if she wasn't in my arms. It was the newness of our bond for the most part, but also the trauma of how long she had spent waiting for me in the witch's sanctuary—to come for her, to claim her, to bring her home.

The thread of our connection presented itself plainly as she sat in my lap and I served her some dinner, my arms wrapping around her as she plastered her body to mine. Her cheek pressed against my chest as the pads of her fingers drew patterns around my mark, soothing us both as I fed her from my own hand.

It was the act of an Alpha to take care of his mate in any way that was needed, and my wolf took pride in how easily she had come to trust us.

She kissed the underside of my jaw every time she had finished chewing her food, the tender motion a request for more as I poked some meat and vegetables onto a fork and pressed it to her lips again. She made an appreciative sound as she took it, my heart swelling with satisfaction with every forkful she consumed.

She preened under every bit of attention she received from me—from my gaze, to my touch, to the way my cock hardened under the feel of her ass pushing into place each time she pressed her thighs together in a bid to stop the ache from swelling between us.

Her attachment to me would soon become a complication when my secrets were made known, but that would be an issue for another time. Right now, all I cared about was making sure she was fed and satisfied—I didn't care about my duties to my pack or of their expectations. Aurelia was my mate, my duty to her was first and foremost and I'd be damned if I let the politics of my pack ruin this moment.

She let out a heavy sigh when she leaned forward in my lap, the movement sudden as she lifted her hips and reached across the table for a glass of water. She pushed herself back down on me when she took a heavy gulp, the sounds of her hurried swallows lighting a fire inside of me as I let out a long groan.

The fork in my hand clattered against the plate as I leaned back in our seat, my hands moving to her thighs and pushing the material of my shirt away from them, watching her spine straighten in an instant as she realised what was happening and what she had done.

"That wasn't on purpose." She came quickly to her own defence, carefully settling the glass back down before she turned to look at the mess she had made of me. Her ass shifted against me once again, a growl rumbling from the depths of my chest and warring with the idea of taking her like this—of filling her up in two very different ways.

Having her sitting in my lap had been a bad idea to begin with, but she had huffed and pouted when I had given her a seat of her own—her displeasure like acid burning down my throat, so I pulled her to my body and quietened her qualms with one simple motion.

But at what cost?

"And yet, with your track record—why do I find that hard to believe?" She huffed out another breath, my fingers moving to wrap around the messy strands of her hair as I tugged at them teasingly.

She was so sweet when she tried to be enraged by me, glaring up at me to try and look intimidating, but it wouldn't work—not when I was so enamoured by her. To me she'd only ever look as intimidating as a butterfly with the most beautiful of wings, unfurling them for me to admire even as she flapped around in a frenzy.

"It's the truth." She continued her defensive little façade as I hummed in response, only irritating her further as her gaze narrowed on me.

She turned to the table again, picking up the fork I had dropped and stabbing it with a piece of meat. This time she was the one who pressed it to my lips, and I obliged her as I opened my mouth. Her gaze didn't stray from my face as she watched the way I chewed, her eyes trailing down my throat as I swallowed. It was a comfort to be taken care of in the way I cared for her, and she pressed a quick kiss to my lips before she moved the fork back to the plate and filled it once again.