22| Mark of Contentment

Adriel 

She slept for most of the day after everything we had done, my release still sticky against her thighs as it mixed with the remnants of her own, our mingled scents thickening in the air around us until it drove me insane. Hers was sweet like lilies and honey, but mine added a muskiness that only enhanced everything tenfold, like the aroma of spiced plums in the winter and the charred smell of amber that folded into every breeze.

Her scent changed with her emotions—her yearning, her neediness, her joy—the strength of it all dependant on its intensity, and by the moon did she feel everything with every fibre of her being, it encompassed her with more than anything I had ever known, and it had me at her complete mercy.

When I'd been inside of her everything we had shared flared with fervour, our bond electrifying with an energy this universe couldn't have known, engraining itself to the very foundations of this house—this house that I had built for her with my own hands, this house in which I'd sworn to give her everything she could ever want or need or wish for.

This house I'd sworn to fill with our love and our children.

To wake up with her in my arms every day was a blessing I had begged for, her warmth a cure to the solitude I had been forced to live in before I'd found her, the delicate curves of her body finding comfort in my own.

Every part of her was pressed to mine—my mind focused on every breath, every heartbeat, and every little sound that passed her lips. She searched for me in her sleep even as I caged her to my limbs, even as my hands explored the intricacies of her body, even as my legs twined with hers and kept her locked in place. It had been decades that I had prayed to the moon for this, and even though I knew my bloodline was not worthy of it—how could I possibly deny the beauty of the gift that had been given to me?

She rivalled anything I had ever imagined, her creamy skin was smooth and untarnished, her limbs lithe and nimble as I bent her into any position I wanted—every inch of her calling on me to fulfil her every desire, and she enjoyed it when I doted on her, when I fucked her—when I praised her for being so perfect.

She fit against me like she was exactly where she was meant to be, and I never wanted to let her go.

I couldn't let her go.

The thought twisted in my gut as my arm banded around her waist—tighter and tighter, the beat of my heart quickening with the sudden fury I felt.

I had everything I had ever wanted and even in his death, my father sought to ruin it.

The truth was a bitter medicine when it came to the things you cherished most in the world, but what choice did I have when I knew that it could crush her?

She had waited for me for as long as I had waited for her, she had yearned and prayed just as I had, she had taken my vows and returned to me her own. She knew me as everything my pack thought I was not—a lover, a gentleman, a sweet talker. Regardless of what they thought of me, I had a duty of care, a responsibility to keep her safe, and maybe it all extended to protecting her from the harsh reality of who I was.

The history of blood that ran deep in the soil of the meadows she now called her home was a difficult thing to overcome, and the truth was hard to ignore now that I was back on the land that had faced its atrocities.

In this place, my mother had died at the hands of my father and my father had died at the hands of mine. My father's death had been deserved, but my mother had been dealt a brutal and bloody end. He had manipulated her love and then he had hacked her to pieces in front of the entire pack, making me watch along with the men and women who loved her as their Luna. My father cursed the moon and the magic that matched my mother to him—cursing her for what he had done and his own inadequacies.