A Bond Greater Than Family

Amicia sighed as she sat down in her little cottage up in the mountains. She hadn't been there in many years, but it felt comforting even though she had been through so much grief in this very place before. Hugo's grave wasn't far from here, and he always felt near when she was here.

She fingered her family necklace that also held her Protector's ring and sighed. Even after all this time, the scar still felt deep. More deep than any of her real scars could ever be. The feeling of failure was sometimes more than she could bare. Hence why she was committing her life to never letting this happen to another person ever again. It may be a feeble attempt, but as long as there was hope, she was going to try. Who knew what the world would hold in another six hundred years.

Amicia had found a few different connections throughout France and a few in surrounding countries. Unfortunately she hasn't seen much of the macula, and she didn't want to go back to places that held so much pain. However, she may not have many options left when it came to the macula. Of course, the macula was more down Lucas' realm of expertise.

Missing her friends, she kind of wished she had someone there. She had seen Sophia not long ago. Lucas, however... it had been what? Almost seven years? After his trip following the death of Hugo, he had come back brimming with so much alchemical knowledge, he practically glowed. However, he determined to become a master alchemist. Perhaps even a magister. So he had gone to Paris to study. They had stayed in constant contact, but she had not seen him in person since she was about eighteen and he fifteen.

A knock on the door startled her reverie. A knock? Who could that be?

There were only two people who knew of this place, and if there was a knock, it could only mean it was Sophia... or Lucas...

Heart thumping, she opened the door, surprised to have to look up... into the face of Lucas!

"Lucas?!"

He grinned broadly. "Amicia!"

Pulling her into a bear hug, she felt surrounded by strong arms. Manly arms??

She pulled back. "What happened to you?? You're... no longer a boy."

Lucas gave an embarrassed shrug. "Time will do that to a young man."

Laughing a little, she suddenly felt very aware of how close he was to her. "I guess I've never thought it would happen. I suppose I forgot time marches forward... last time I saw you was... seven years ago?"

He gave a sad smile, his long brown hair still getting dangerously close to covering his vivid blue eyes like it did when he was a boy. "Yes, I think I was about fifteen when I saw you last." Shuffling uncomfortably, Amicia realized she was staring.

"I'm so sorry, come in, please!"

She backed away quickly and he walked in, almost having to duck with his height. He stopped in the middle of the living room and sighed contentedly. "Ah, it feels like home. I haven't felt this feeling in a long time."

Amicia smiled, secretly wondering if it was the location or the person he was referring to... "I was just thinking the same thing. Anytime I'm here, Hugo feels close."

He nodded in agreement. "I feel similar. I wasn't as close to him as you were, but he always felt like a little brother to me. If only we had gotten more time..."

Amicia felt tears threatening. She sucked in a breath. "Yes, I agree. Are you hungry? You've been on the road a long time."

His eyes lit up. "Yes, please! I haven't sat down at an actual table in months. Been too busy chasing down the macula when not studying at the university."