A Protector's Dream

Three Years Later

Amicia sighed. Where on earth were her children?? It was almost time to eat, and she had to prepare for their trip to Paris in a few days. Their new house in Guyenne wasn't as large as her previous house, but Amicia didn't care. They were close to her mother's old laboratory as well as her old home that was now a ruin, and they had added extra security measures to keep the area protected. They had a few marked graves to represent her parents (one of which they had the body and the other they did not) and smaller ones for the servants they had lost so many years prior. They had also reclaimed the Château D'Ombrage and the cabin back in the mountains from the Order as well. It was slow progress, but they were making headway, and building rooms to be hopefully found by the future carrier and protector. Severin was aiding in the process while he stayed at the house with them. They had even built him his own forge on their land. 

Gia had told Amicia she was going into the village to run an errand, but Amicia had a sneaking suspicion it was to see a man. The girl was honest to a fault and generally very forthcoming about her comings and going's. However, today she had seemed a little evasive. Amicia was glad to see her find someone though. She was already past the age most girls married. Of course, Amicia didn't have any room to talk. Not that she would have changed a thing in regards to her love. Amicia assumed the children were probably being watched by one of their sweet maids while Gia ran her "errand."

Amicia walked down the hall towards the outside, looking up to see the de Rune family crest with the tree that had the sun above and the moon below. The sun and moon felt even more fitting when Lucas had called her the sun and he the moon. It really felt like he had been a part of the family the whole time. What made it even more meaningful was the fact that Felicite had painted on the crest herself. She was truly talented even at such a young age.

Heading outside, she saw the spot she enjoyed playing her lute in the garden. Lucas had told her one of his favorite things was coming home to see her playing. It made her a little embarrassed, but she was pleased that he enjoyed it so.

Suddenly hearing voices, she stopped and hid behind a tree as she heard Lucas and children. Lucas must have left the village early today... usually he worked with patients till sundown on the days he was in the village and not in his laboratory.

"I'll count to ten!! Then I'll come for you Princess Alchemist and Knight Protector!! One, two, three..."

Nine year old Felicite giggled and ran off to find a hiding place. Five year old Jean-Luc ran to catch up with her grasping her hand. Amicia watched as they hid behind a garden wall. Felicite wore a bun with a blue ribbon intertwined like Amicia had when she was a girl, and little Jean-Luc wore a red tunic, looking like a more sharp version of her husband. His slightly lighter brown hair was threatening to cover his eyes just like his father.

"Nine... ten! Ready or not! Here I come! The Evil Sorcerer Father, the perfidious among the perfidious will find you!"

Starting to sneak around, Lucas looked behind one of the garden walls.

"I smell fear!! The great Sorcerer Father will take your toes, cut them up, and boil them in a stew!! Then eat it!!"

The children giggled giving away their location. Lucas pretended not to hear them and kept searching. Felicite tried to hush Jean-Luc who looked sourly at her. "We have to be quiet, or the Evil Sorcerer will find us!"

Amicia got an idea, and she smiled mischievously. Sneaking up to the children, she quietly got their attention. They looked at her surprised for a moment, but nodded as she signaled them her plan.