Short Interlude

They arrived back at Marseille thankfully all in one piece that evening. They had not been pursued, but Amicia wasn't sure if they should stay together with Melie. The danger from the Order was too high, and Melie wasn't necessarily recognizable unlike Amicia herself. Lucas fought Faucher now face to face, and Faucher would surely want vengeance. Better to be safe than sorry. As much as Amicia was thankful to be with her friend again, it was too much of a risk to stay. She also didn't have a great desire to linger in Marseille for obvious reasons...

That next morning, Amicia and Lucas sat at one of the tables in Melie's hideout and ate a small breakfast as they prepared to leave.

"Amicia? Lucas?"

They turned to see Melie looking very serious. "I was wondering if you two would consider being Arthur's godparents... If something were to happen to me... I want him to be in good hands."

Amicia was astonished. "Are you sure? Us?"

Melie nodded. "You saved his life and he likes you two. I can't think of anyone more capable."

Lucas looked at Amicia and smiled. "We don't deserve the honor, Melie, but we'll accept."

Looking relieved, Melie smiled. "Thank you both. It puts my mind at ease to know he has somewhere to go if something were to happen to me."

"Don't talk like that! Nothing will happen to you!" Amicia cried.

Melie snorted. "Thank you for your confidence in me, Amicia. But in my line of work, you can never be too sure. But still, thank you all the same."

Arthur came down shortly after this discussion as lively as ever. The mother and son escorted them outside after breakfast to a local stable. After an exchange of coin, two horses were readied by the stable hand as they said their goodbyes. Arthur cried not wanting to see his new friends leave.

"We'll see you again, promise." Lucas said bending down to his level like he had once done for Hugo.

"Are you sure?" He hiccupped.

"Absolutely. We're family now."

Melie looked at Amicia and smiled. "If your new order ever needs help, you can count on the Peoples' Thieves!"

Amicia knew this meant a lot coming from Melie. "Thank you, Melie. I'm sure we will have need of you soon."

"We'll take down those bastards for sure one day."

"Yes, we will not let them win. We will not let them use the future carrier ever again!"

Melie stroked her son's hair and looked back up at them. "Good luck, de Runes! God knows you'll need it."

Amicia gave her one last hug as well as Arthur. "Take care of your mother, okay Arthur?"

He puffed up his chest proudly. "I will!"

Lucas held her hand as she waved good bye to them. Amicia was once again struggling not to cry. She hated having to say good bye all the time.

They got up on their horses and made preparations to leave.

She looked back as they rode away from the city. Even though there were such painful memories here, now there were good memories too - including a new godson!

"Come on, M'Lady. Forward!" Lucas called ahead of her.

"Yes, Master Plague Destroying Alchemist!" she exclaimed trotting up next to him.

"You know, when Melie mentioned the de Runes, a little shiver went up my back. I quite liked the sound of it."

Amicia grinned. "Me too! Here's to the mighty de Runes!"