Old Friend

Amicia tried not to scream and Lucas tried to wriggle out of the hands of whoever held them. There were two cloaked figures, one short one holding Amicia, and another slightly taller one holding Lucas.

"Stop it!"

It was a woman's voice!

"Quiet, I promise we're not here to hurt you." The two strangers both backed away, uncovering Amicia and Lucas' mouths. 

Amicia and Lucas stopped moving when they backed away, and the woman who had been holding Lucas pulled down the fabric covering her face. Amicia gasped.

"Melie??" There was no mistaking the red hair and and signature head band even in the growing darkness.

She smiled and winked at them both. "Hello, long time no see! However, this is not the place to talk. Come."

Lucas and Amicia stared at each other in shock but quickly followed her and the smaller figure. 

Melie expertly wound her way around the guards and down the alleys. Melie was still very proficient at hiding in the shadows. In fact, she was more skilled than ever. What had she been doing all these years??

She finally stopped at a door and gave a secret knock only those involved would know. They were let in by a sour looking man with a bald head. "Hello, Henry! I have some guests! Don't worry, they're with me."

They entered a room dimly lit room with little furniture while the small figure stood outside as guard. The bald man practically growled at them as they came in, but he decided it was in his best wishes to leave when he saw Melie's face. He departed to the next room and Amicia could hear lively chatter from the room before he closed the door.

She turned to them, finally taking off her hood. "Sorry about him. He's had a hard life and doesn't trust people easily."

"Neither do we. I understand." said Lucas amiably.

"Where's Hugo?"

Amicia's heart dropped. Of course, Melie wouldn't know what happened. She would assume Hugo was still with them.

Lucas saw the look on her face and so did Melie. "We, uh, lost him ten years ago..." he offered.

Amicia looked directly into Melie's eyes, "We killed him, Melie. We had no choice. The macula had taken over completely. We had no other option."

Several emotions crossed Melie's face. She had always been easy to read with that temper of hers. But the emotion that came across the strongest was pity and understanding. "I... I'm sorry, Amicia. No matter how I felt about the thing that took him, he didn't deserve that. He was just a boy."

"Thank you, Melie." Amicia responded, genuinely thankful. She knew Melie's feelings about Hugo were... complicated.

Melie looked between Lucas and Amicia now, a new question appearing on her face. Amicia saw her eyes catch her ring and noting Lucas holding Amicia's other hand, she grinned at them. "Well, it seems you two are more than just friends now."

Amicia felt her face turning bright red. "Ah yes, it's a rather... new development."

Melie's eyebrows rose and she looked at Lucas, "Maybe new for you, Amicia, eh Lucas?"

Amicia turned to her husband in curiosity, his face burning. "Ah, well..."

Melie looked extremely amused. "This boy has been in love with you since the days of the Chateau."

Amicia turned to him eyes widening. "Is this true?"

"I.... uh, hey... Melie, what have you been up to here in Marseille?"