Chapter 69 - Cesar Dayne

The entire room turned into chaos.

The civilians began to rush towards the doors, any door that they could find. The cries echoed, bouncing off the walls and the raucous made it hard for Wolf's men to know where to shoot. Dante took advantage of the commotion, crouching down to Nate who still had the chains wrapped around his neck. It didn't even seem as if Nate recognized him, slowly glancing in his direction with his one eye and simply falling into his arms.

"Dante, get him out of the chains, we need to leave," Reno hissed, seeing the bodyguards staring to advance towards the stage.

When Dante didn't move a muscle, Reno yelled again. "Dante, we're all in fucking danger! You need to get him off the chain now before Wolf's guys get to you."

Dante had seen these sorts of atrocities before, hell he had even caused worse pain onto others than what Nate had endured. They killed Jules mercilessly, torturing him until he couldn't even breathe on his own. But in that moment, not only did he feel nauseous, but he simply froze. His quivering fingers didn't move at his command, and all he could do was stare at them. Nate's head was leaning on his shoulder with his chest close to him, and Dante, able to hear his faint heartbeat, didn't even know what he was supposed to do.

In all the years that he had come to terms with the gruesome sights of this world, never once had he panicked like this. And in this moment, that was what happened; Dante panicked.

"I don't know what to do, I don't know what to do..." His mind was racing with too many thoughts that he felt as if the entire earth was quaking. Was he supposed to try and stop the bleeding? But he was bleeding from everywhere! How was Nate ever going to get his second eye? What about his missing limb, how was he supposed to live like this?

"Dad, Dante's lost it." Molly was the first one to notice, but he remained concealed within the shadows. Although he knew how to handle himself, he wasn't as strong as his other brothers and putting himself in the crossfire would only hinder them.

Bronsted widened his eyes. "The last time he was like this was when Dad made him get rid of mom."

Is this all my fault? It is my fault! I should've never been around him, I knew it was a bad idea and Raphael said it too me so many times but I didn't listen! He doesn't deserve this, they should've taken me! Oh my god, what did they make him go through? Is he going to die? Did I kill him? I killed him! I don't know what to do, I don't know what to do, Idon'tknowwhattodoIdon'tknowwhattodo....

"I don't know what to do, I don't know what to do..." That was all they could hear through the earpiece, a breathless mumbling Dante that was lost in his own mind, consumed by his thoughts and holding the barely surviving Nate, unable to make himself move.

"I need to get Dante," Raphael shouted as he was bumped into by a random stranger who rushed towards the doors. Unfortunately, the doors had been locked to prevent anyone from leaving the building, hence the commotion was nowhere near being stopped anytime soon. "He's having a breakdown."

"Go ahead." At the same time, Lucius had slit the throat of a bodyguard that had leaped towards the stage. "I'll deal with the ones that try to intervene." The blood splattered across the faces of other civilians, which only caused the panic to grow even more as the bodyguard fell to the ground, choking from his own blood.

"Where the fuck do you think you're going?" Reno spat as he reached for his sister, pulling her by her hair and wrapping an arm around her neck. He made certain she could feel the knife at her side to make her stay still. "We need to make sure you don't mess up our plan."

"Oh, don't bet on your luck," Tyler smirked.

When they noticed a few more of Wolf's men exiting from the lounge area, pushing through the civilians without any remorse, Bronsted lunged forward and tripped one to the ground, slamming his brass knuckles into his jaw and watching the man's eyes roll to the back of his head, unconscious. "I'm helping you keep them at bay, Lucius."