Chapter 9 - A Heart-Filled Gift

After our 4 protagonists got out of the trees, (and water in KUMO's and Zenirtle's case), they all looked at the map that Prof. Oak had given Kishi. "I was right!", Kishi claims, "This IS Route 22!". "And if that's Route 22", Ruki replies, "Then that means...". "We're actually close to Viridian City!", Tomo and Hayami replied. As Tomo and Ruki return their Pokemon to their Pokeballs, they all head toward the PokeCenter to heal their Pokemon and inform Viridian Joy about Team Rocket. "I see...", Viridian Joy states as she finishes healing everyone's Pokemon, "It seems like the rumors are true... I'll go inform Officer Jenny about this. You kids stay in here, for all we know, you guys could be targets". As she leaves, Kishi, Tomo, and Ruki all stare at each other like they're all about to do the opposite of what Viridian Joy said. "Alright-", Hayami states, "What are y'all thinking now?". Tomo then explains, "If we are being targeted, it isn't safe for us to stay". Kishi then continues saying, "If we want to also be safe, we should find a team of Pokemon". And Ruki finally finishes with, "If we aren't being targeted, we can continue our adventure and complete our goals". "This is a stupid plan but I guess we can do that-", Hayami replied.

Our protagonists all then decide to sneak out of the PokeCenter, but on the way, Ruki and Hayami spot a present on the table that reads: "To: C.J., From: V.J.". "Hey who's C.J.?", Hayami asks. "Oh! I might know who that could be!", Kishi states, "Follow me!". They all leave the gift and head toward the PokeMart, where Clerk John was working. As they stand outside of the PokeMart, Tomo asks, "Wait- Why is there a present for Clerk John in the 1st place??? And why are we worried about it???-". "Because why not?", Ruki states, "And besides, what if it's a Love Gift from V.J. ~". The word "Love Gift" then catches Hayami's attention even more. "A Love Letter Gift you say???", she states, "Now I REALLY gotta find out what's in that present!". Hayami and Ruki both then storm inside the PokeMart. "Dang, they really wanna see this love show go down huh?", Tomo states. "You know how they are-", Kishi replies, "Wanna go find some Pokemon on Route 22?". "Okay, but we're battling after!", Tomo replied. They both then make their way toward Route 22.

During that time, Hayami and Ruki have been busy asking Clerk John questions about Viridian Joy. "So how long have you 2 known each other!? Did you guys date in the past!? When did you 2 meet each other!? TELL US ABOUT YOU 2!!!", they both question excitedly. Confused as ever, Clerk John states, "So you're not here to buy something?- Why do you guys care anyways? It's NoneYa". "What/Who's NoneYa?", Hayami asks. "NoneYaBusiness! Now either buy something or get out", Clerk John states. "Aw c'mon C.J.", Ruki states, "Let us stay for a while. We're curious about your relationship with V.J.". "Yea!", Hayami added, "I bet we could do something for you 2!". Clerk John sighs and then agrees to tell Ruki and Hayami about his relationship with Viridian Joy. Before they start listening, however, Hayami notices that Kishi and Tomo aren't with them. "If you're wondering where they went", Ruki stated, "They went to go find some Pokemon on Route 22". "Not surprised", Hayami replied.

Meanwhile, in Route 22, Kishi and Tomo, (along with their Pokemon), were looking for Pokemon in that area. "Find anything Kishi?", Tomo stated, "Cause I haven't found any Pokemon around here-". Kishi replies with, "Nope- Not a 'Mon over here...". Just then they both hear a rustle in a nearby grass area. "A Pokemon!", Kishi whispered, "FIRECRACKER go sneak up on it and use EMBER on it!". "Charmander Char! (Great idea!)", FIRECRACKER whispered back. "Zenirtle, do the same but use WATER GUN!", Tomo states. "squirtle squirt! (on it!)", Zenirtle replied. As they both try to sneak up on the Pokemon, FIRECRACKER accidentally steps on the Pokemon's tail, startling the Pokemon in the process. "Charmander- (Uh Oh-)", FIRECRACKER stated. "Well-", Kishi states, "That happened-". "Hey! At least we get to see what Pokemon were in the grass!", Tomo replied. The startled Pokemon then jumps out and ends up headbutting Kishi in the forehead. "OWWWW!", Kishi shouted, "What Pokemon was that!?". Tomo grabs his book and replies with, "It appears to be a Mankey! They fly into a rage at the slightest provocation. These fits of temper are usually preceded by violent tremors, but there is rarely enough time to get away-". "squirtle squirtle squirt! (that's nice but I think we should leave it alone!)", Zenirtle nervously states. "Charmander Char! (Yea he's right!)", FIRECRACKER replies. Kishi and Tomo ask why and then Mankey starts getting very angry. "MANKEY MAN! KEY KEY MANKEY! (YOU! YOU STEPPED ON MY TAIL!)", Mankey angrily states, "MANKEY MAN!? MANKEY MANKEY MAN!? (DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THAT HURT!? HOW ABOUT I STEP ON YOUR TAIL HUH!?)". "Uh- Should we start running?-", Kishi asks. "Yea we probably should!", Tomo replied. As Mankey gives chase to Kishi, Tomo, Zenirtle, and FIRECRACKER, they all start running like there is no tomorrow.

Back to everyone else, Ruki and Hayami decide to make a gift for Viridian Joy with Clerk John. "Do you guys think she will even like it?", Clerk John says nervously. "Like it?", Ruki replied, "She'll LOVE IT!!!", Hayami replied as well, "So- When will you give it to her?". Clerk John then starts feeling nervous and then states, "I-I'll give it to her later... Now do you guys need to buy something or not?". "Nah-", Ruki stated, "Ain't no way you're gonna kick us out after we helped you with this gift". "That's kinda rude not gonna lie-", Hayami also states, "At least let see you bring it to her". "Ah fine-", Clerk John replies, "But don't be weird about anything, ya hear!". Hayami and Ruki then answer no and begin to leave the PokeMart.

As they leave they then wish good luck to Clerk John with Viridian Joy as they then see Kishi, Tomo running from a wild Mankey. "Whoa!", Ruki stated, "What happened here!". Kishi then explains, "WE ACCIDENTALLY STEPPED ON THIS MANKEY'S TAIL AND NOW IT'S MAD AT US!!!", as he keeps running, "WE TRIED TO BATTLE IT BUT IT BATTERED US! PLEASE HELP!". As Kishi and Tomo continue to run, Ruki then sends out KUMO. "Alright KUMO! Use VINE WHIP!!", Ruki states. "BULBA!! (ON IT!!)", KUMO states as he hits the Mankey right on its back. And without thinking, Ruki threw a Pokeball at Mankey. The ball wiggles once...then twice...and for the final time. Ruki had caught themselves a Mankey! "Huh- That was easy!", Ruki states as they pick up the Pokeball, "I guess you two wore it out from running!". Kishi and Tomo sigh as they begin to catch their breath. "Oh it's finally over...", Kishi states, "So, what have you two been up to?". Hayami then begins filling Kishi and Tomo in on what Clerk John plans to do. "Oh ok! So you're on your way now?", Tomo replies. "That's right! Now less chit chat and let's go!", Ruki states as they start heading toward the PokeCenter.

As they all enter the PokeCenter with Clerk John, they spot a concerned and scared Viridian Joy panicking around the place. "Oh where could they have gone!?!?", Viridian Joy states while quivering. Clerk John then starts comforting Viridian Joy, "Hey what's up V.J.?", he states. Panicked, Viridian Joy replies with, "4 kids were being attacked by Team Rocket!!! And I told them to stay here!!! And now they're gone!!!". Clerk John then looks back at the gang and back at Viridian Joy and asks what their description is. Viridian Joy then explains the description of Kishi, Ruki, Tomo, and even Hayami. Clerk John then slowly turns his head toward our gang as they all look very nervous at each other.

Clerk John then was about to start lecturing the gang, Viridian Joy runs over to the gang and begins to hug them very tight while feeling relieved. "Oh, I'm glad you all are ok! Why didn't you all stay here?...", she states. "Huh, I wonder why-", Hayami states as she then looks at the other 3 as they explain themselves. "Well, we realized that if we stay here, the PokeCenter might get attacked and you might get hurt...", Tomo states. "Yea!", Kishi adds on, "We also thought if we made our own Pokemon team, we could defend ourselves just fine! Also you can't talk, Hayami, you didn't have to come along!". "Anyways...we didn't want you or anyone here in town to get hurt... we just wanted to follow our goals... however, we did end up helping someone~", Ruki states with a smug look on their face, "Ain't that right C.J?~". Viridian Joy then looks at Clerk John with a confused and puzzled face, "What do they mean, Johnnie?". As his face begins to turn red, Clerk John then goes up toward Viridian Joy and slowly hands her the gift that Ruki and Hayami helped him with, "They're talking about this...", he states with embarrassment. Viridian Joy's eyes shot wide open as her face became red as well, "A gift for me!? Oh Johnnie~". As she takes the gift she whispers something in his ear, "I'll open it after they leave~".

Once she sets the gift aside, she thanks Ruki and Hayami for helping him make it, "However, I am mad that you guys left without letting me know...". The gang then apologizes to both her and Clerk John for the trouble. Viridian Joy then gives them a bunch of Potions and Pokeballs for their journey, "If you're still planning on going on your adventure, take these! They'll help!". "OOH! THESE WILL HELP A LOT!!!", Kishi states excitedly. "Oh! By the way, can we heal our Pokemon before we go? We got battered by a Mankey...". Viridian Joy accepts the request, (probably cause that's her job...), and ends up healing the gang's Pokemon. "Thanks, V.J.!", the gang replies as they then leave the PokeCenter. "Bye kids!", Viridian Joy replies, "Be safe!". "Don't get into any trouble either!!!", Clerk John states as well. "Aw you do care for people~ That's sweet~", Viridian Joy states, taunting Clerk John. "Yea- Yea- Now come open your gift~", Clerk John replies. And as the gang heads off to the Viridian forest! What adventures will await them next?

Early line for chapter 10: Kishi states with a disgusted face, "I hate Bug-Types...".