PROLOGUE-I

It was one fine morning with sparrows chirping on the cable wires hanging on the streets.The sky was clear.A ray of sunlight fell on the leaves of the neem tree which made it appear more green than it is.The roads clearly seemed to have a satisfaction from saving itself from the heavy Vardah cyclone which hit Chennai yesterday with a wind speed of 155 kmph,literally rooting the trees out of the earth which it had held on for years.

People started walking to and fro on the roads,heading to work,where the young lady found it difficult to sweep the road in front of her house.It's a tradition in Indian houses to sweep a portion of road in front of their houses(literally termed in tamil as vaasal) and to put bigger rangolis in the middle.

The lady with an unfixed hair,with her four eyes was wearing a brown floral nightie and a duppata round her neck was keep on sweeping that small area for more than 10 mins.She was keep on cursing the road in a lower tone which had a lot of drumstick leaves to sweep off.The broomstick was too loose and short.She kept on adjusting the stick in her hand,in order to finish her so called easy work by her mother.Adding up to her burden and annoyance,bikes passing the way,returned the leaves back to it's original place from where she swept from the beginning.

Oiiiii!!She lost her patience and threw away the broomstick far from her sight.

Hare!pagal aurath!A man who seemed to have won medals in fights roared in front of the poor lady.Maaf kar dijiye baaisaab,galti se hua!!She took the broomstick which was lying peacefully at his legs watching her sarcastically.She sincerely apologized to him.To her surprise,the man just walked away,without any other move,probably after her word "baaisaab" (brother in hindi)

It's indeed rare for a wagesman from the northern part of the country in South India to be addressed as brother in his own language by a house woman.It can also be counted as her luck.If she has ever thrown that stick on any of her neighbours,then she would have been a dead meat already.Even if by chance,if her family saves her from there,she should have heard unstoppable taunts from her family which would have left her ears bleed at the end.

The very thought raised her heartbeat.She took a peek on her house to ensure that dreadly thought.Luckily being saved again,she swept the road real fast and drew a seven-dotted rangoli.Usually after sweeping,people sprinkle water before drawing rangoli but yesterday's cyclone has relieved her from that job.She closed the gate and entered the door,almost banging it heavily.

"The house is shaking.Is it informed in news,that a earthquake would follow a cyclone",said Senthil mockingly in a very sarcastic tone.

Appa.....!!!she dragged it with her tone.

"Seems like the Junior Valli has swept the road at least 5 mins earlier than yesterday.Valli!,Bring Dhatchu ,a cup of coffee"

"Appa...,just call me Vrindha,it's confusing in here and college with the same girl as Dhatchayini"

Ok,madam!!!,both laughed at each other..

Banging like this,Lakshmi (Goddess of Wealth and Prosperity) won't stay in our house;Valli started her taunts at the morning which was like hearing Suprapaadham for Vrindha and Senthil.

But Vrindha had no short tongue either.After all she inherited it from her mother."Even,Lakshmi won't stay in a house where the lying mat is not taken after a sunrise",her eyes symbolically pinpointed the lying figure in the mat.

"She was doing her assignment till late night,so I let her sleep"

"Even,I was studying for my model exam late night.Why should I wake up earlier to sweep those damn roads?"