Old Friends and Old Pasts

I walked outside with Jasper, Bella, and Edward as father and Esme pulled up with the last witness. I recognized the scent immediately. So I wasn't the least bit shocked when it was Alistair who stepped out of the car.

"How many came?" father asked me, coming straight to me after he got out.

"Eighteen," I told him as he pulled me in for a hug.

"You have some good friends," Edward told us, and I nodded in agreement.

"And Alice?" Esme asked. Bella shook her head, earning herself a hug.

"We'll all be on Aro's list now," Alistair announced. "Centuries on the run, that's what you've brought me. Some friend, Carlisle."

"Alistair, come meet everyone," father insisted.

He looked to me and saw Jasper's arm around me. His eyes flashed.

"I see you've finally agreed to someone's advances."

"Alistair, I'd like you to meet my mate, Jasper," I told him calmly as he rolled his eyes and huffed out a sarcastic laugh.

"Of course," he muttered, and I felt anger flash through me for a moment before I calmed myself. He was just upset that I turned down his advances all those years ago. And I don't believe it's because he ever truly had more than a crush on me, but instead, because of his vanity. Because his ego had taken a hit.

"Pleasure," Jasper told him, equally as calm, but Alistair ignored Jasper's words, turning to look at father.

"I already told you, if it comes to a fight, I won't stand against the Volturi."

"It won't come to a fight," father reassured him quietly, and he hesitated before...

"I'll be in the attic." He jumped to the roof and made his way inside. There was a stunned silence from the others before Esme looked to Bella.

"He's not a people person," she explained.

"And quite irritating," I added, my voice only just loud enough for him to hear. "Not to mention big-headed." I heard him huff a laugh, making an amused grin tug at my lips.

"As if you're one to talk, twinkle-toes." His voice was somewhat amused as he spoke, and then we heard him enter the house as I shook with laughter. Such a typical Alistair response. But having been given that response, I knew a few things.

He wasn't angry anymore, he was okay with Jasper, and the past was forgotten.

His ego took a hit, but he was over it.

~:~:~:~:~

When I heard two particular vampires coming, I grinned, taking Jasper's hand and pulling him along as we began to run after the two who I had hoped would get my 'message'. The Irish coven had managed to get the word to them. I heard the pack join in on the chase.

We slowed to a stop as Vladimir 'beckoned' the wolves, and I grinned at his cheekiness.

"Vladimir, Stefan," father greeted. "You're a long way from home."

"What are they doing here?" Kate muttered.

"We heard the Volturi were moving against you," Vladimir told him. "But that you would not stand alone."

"We didn't do what we were accused of," father explained.

"We do not care what you did, Carlisle."

"We have been waiting a millennium for the Italian scum to be challenged," Stefan grinned.

"It's not our plan to fight the Volturi."