01 - new environment

"Are you sure you have everything? I would hate for you to have to turn around and drive back here." Your mother walked back outside, another box in her hand. The box was labeled 'kitchen stuff' as she stuffed it in the backseat with the rest of the labeled boxes.

"I think so. If not, then I guess you'll just have to mail it to me." You gave her a goofy grin as she pulled you closer and gave a kiss on your hair.

You wrapped your arms around her as she did the same. "I'm excited for you, but I'm going to miss you so much. Who am I going to talk to?" You laughed as your mother fake cried.

"You have dad, dummy." You lightly pushed her away as the sound of a door closing behind you sounds.

"What about me?" You turned your head to see your dad walking outside with the last box. He quickly pushed it into the backseat and shut the door.

"Mom is saying you're boring."

Dad gasped as mom lightly hit your shoulder.

"Just not ready for my baby to leave the nest!"

"Let her live woman!"

You laughed as you gave them both a hug before climbing into your car. "Alright you two, I've got to go to make it before the housing office closes."

"Be safe baby. Call us if you need anything." Your dad waved as he wrapped an arm around his wife.

"Text me when you get there and get your key." You nodded to your mom as you put your car in reverse. Waving while you put the car in drive.

You honked your horn and waved out the window. "Bye! Love you guys!"

And then you were on the road. Finally, an independent adult. On the way to move into your college dorm a couple of hours away.

~ ~ ~

You noticed him maybe the second day of classes. He sat in the back with no book bag, no laptop, no notes. Just sat and listened. 

He wore dark jeans with just a white t-shirt. Sometimes he had a jacket but usually just had on the t-shirt. He had thick eye brows and sideburns with short brown hair. Something you didn't notice until he stood up was that he was tall. 

On the third day, you sat next to him and worked hard to type out your notes and writing them down as well. At the end of the class, you slid the papers over to him.

"I noticed you didn't have any paper, so I wrote down some notes. I typed out my own notes so you can have these!"

The guy had a confused look on his face but accepted them anyway with a thanks.

"I-"

"Ah sorry, I have a class right after this on the other side of campus. If you have any questions or if something is incorrect, let me know next time!" You waved and quickly ran out the room. Only ten minutes to walk nearly a mile across campus. You really needed a bike or something.

Your next class was boring, so you decided to submit some job applications to different places in the area. Hopefully one of them would accept you even though you can only work nights because of classes, but it is a college town so you may have a chance. 

Your class schedule wasn't super busy. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, you had beginner astronomy at nine, world history at ten-thirty, a small break starting at eleven-fifty and then fantasy literature at one-thirty. On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, you had finance at eleven-thirty and government at one-thirty. Pretty easy schedule for your first semester. You had decided to just get all of your general education classes done first while you still decide what major you want to pursue.