07 - head wounds

A yawn escaped your mouth as you finished mopping the aisle by the chips. Exhaustion was seeping through every part of your body. It was halfway through the semester, and it was time for midterms. You were almost done with all your tests, but there were still two more tests left to take. Both were pretty easy, but you were worried, nonetheless.

Hurriedly footsteps made their way to the aisle as your coworker's voice spoke. "Hey- Y/N. I'm so sorry to spring this on you, but my mom is sick and needs her car to get to the hospital, but I currently have it. I may be able to come back but I have got to go. You alright holding down the fort?"

You gave them a thumbs-up and a smile. "It's not like I haven't run this shift by myself for the past couple of months. Go ahead."

They thanked you and ran to clock out. You walked to the front to watch them hop in the car and leave. You were used to working the night shift by yourself. It was calmer that way.

Plus, Sally only came when you were alone.

Speaking of which.

"Hi Y/N!"

That didn't take long.

The bell over the door rang as the little girl ran straight to you.

"Hello Sally, were you waiting for long?" You walked with her behind the counter and grabbed her coloring book and a snack from their stash under the desk. After a while, you learned that Sally would wait nearby to come in and hang out with you. She said it was to keep you safe, but you think she just enjoys the company and free snacks.

She shook her head slightly, "I just got here a couple of minutes ago. It just happened to work out that your co-worker left when they did.

You hummed at that with a smile. Chit-chat started between the two of you as the remaining time went by. It was nearing the clock-out time when the bell rang again.

Your nose scrunched up as you took notice of the guy that walked in. He looked dirty and you could smell him from here. He walked towards the back where the fridges were holding drinks. The sound of crayons hitting the paper turned your head towards Sally who was still coloring.

"Hey Sally, would you mind going to the main office quickly? Just while I check this guy out." You pointed towards the door right behind the desk where you both were. It was supposed to be for a break room, but it was never used as such. It just became a room to hold personal belongings while you worked.

Sally looked towards the man who was grabbing a pack of alcoholic beverages and nodded slightly. You helped her off the stool and smiled at her as she walked into the room, closing the door slightly behind her. With Sally now safe, you grabbed the pepper spray that you had in your pocket. Grasping it tightly under the counter, you watched as the man made his way to the checkout.

There was a chance that nothing would happen but the thought of this man even looking at Sally the wrong way made you sick. Better to be safe than sorry. Besides, something just felt off.

Your eyes jumped to the tree line for a second before a raspy voice spoke.

"Just this and a pack of that up there." He pointed to a pack of Marlboro. Before grabbing it, you rang it up and told him the total.

You typed in the products giving the guy the best fake smile you could, "That'll be $17.99. Cash or card?"

The guy frowns slightly, "Just give me the shit so I don't have to cut you."

"Sorry sir, I can't do that. Would you like to put something back?" Just stay calm. Your grip on your pepper spray tightened as you felt your palms grow sweaty.