Chapter 7

Jen's pov

“So how was he. Did he at least learnt something?” Master asked me appearing out of no where. If I had believed in powers I would have thought he teleported.

I did not too long ago dismissed Matthew, whom was more than pleased to leave might I add. It was almost four in the evening so I believe it's long over due.

So I supposed I should have expected his father to pay me a visit to check on the progress of his son. He is after all paying a hefty sum for it.

“He is a bit slow but he is catching on quite well I must say”

“Good I'm happy to hear that. Matthew has always been a slow learner from he was younger. I can’t quite figure out why that is “ Master said staring into space as if he was unlocking a distant memory.

“I must say I'm glad you took the offer. I knew he would be able to get along well with you” he continued his casual talking making me uncomfortable.

I wasn’t accustomed to him freely speaking to me as if we were long time buddies.

Whenever we spoke it was always formal but back then I was a maid servant and now I’m not. So I’m guessing I should expect a few changes between us.

"I’m glad you gave me the job sir. I will certainly try my hardest not to disappoint you”  I said, the raw sincerity in my voice shocking myself as well as my Master as he remained silent for quite a while before speaking.

"You seem quite determine Jen. In fact I have never seen some one with more determination to prove themselves to me. Its quite commendable."

Even though I fought the blush it still surfaced. I could hardly stop my self from smiling hard. That I must say would be the closest thing to a compliment I ever received in this house since working here.

I don't know why but it felt great to know someone in a higher social position found me to be 'commendable'

"I'm very pleased to hear that sir" I smiled which I pray to god didn't come off as creepy.

"Its Carson for you now from now on" he said. I was stunned for a moment surely he doesn't expect me to call him by his surname almost as if we were equals.

Today is certainly full of surprises and surprises. The only words I could utter after seeing is expecting gaze is a simple okay.

"Well I must get going Jen. I have a meeting outside the community tomorrow and I need to be prepared." Mr. Carson said, his eyes glancing to a small antique clock on the wall.

I felt embarrassed of myself for whenever he said my name I would feel a small tugging almost like butterflies forming in my stomach and god knows how inappropriate that is.

It must be the way he pronounces it with such...graciousness. That must be it.

I don't know what compelled me to ask my next question but I did  it anyways, "Is there anything I can help you with?" I sounded almost too eager.

I didn't know what I was expecting him to say...that was if he even said something. I wouldn't blame him if he didn't. I felt I was kind of overstepping. I was getting too comfortable.

"No...yes. I have a few papers I need to sort out maybe you could assist me with that" Mr. Carson said his words putting a calm to the organ beating wildly underneath my chest.

Gleefully I replied, "Okay then, let's get started" I was aware I was more than giddy but I didn't care much. Everything was getting to my head.

                              ~~~
It was now a couple minutes after eight in the evening or rather night I must say as it was very dark outside and... I still found myself in Mr.  Carson's study. We had already finished with the most important papers and was now wrapping up or so we should be doing.

I had no idea being around him could be so fun, so comfortable... Its crazy how fast and easy he made me feel so safe in his presence and he did that without even trying.

"And what happened after that?" I asked through laughter. Mr. Carson has been telling me a little about his life when he was a child and the things he has been through is just simple put hilarious.

"No I can't say it's too embarrassing" he said his neck looking awfully red and the color didn't stop until it reached his cheeks painting it red as well. He was truly embarrassed and it is the most cutest and fascinating thing I have ever witness about him.

"Oh come on. It can't be that bad" I wheezeed, the joke was so funny it hurt so bad. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time so much so it brought back old time memories.

Eventually I let it go when I saw that Mr. Carson had no interest of ever telling me what happened to him, instead he just continued to stare at me as I waited for my laughter to die down.

The two of our hands inching towards each other on the desk and barely brushing together.

"Ok, I will tell you. It got swollen after." He finally said before rising from his seat and turning his back to me he knew the inevitable would happened as his study was once again filled with my more than unpleasant laughter.

"Your....was swollen" I choked up between fits of laughter. "Oh my god I can't begin to imagine.."

"What the hell charade is going on in here?" I heard, the unmistakable voice of Mrs. Carson ceasing all noise came from my mouth in an instant. This most certainly doesn't look good to her and it most certainly doesn't look good for us.

"Nothing, honey. Jen was just finishing up some paper work for me. She will be leaving soon"  Mr. Carson said, his words undoubtedly the cause of hurt and pain I'm feeling in my heart at the moment.

I think he could have worded that sentence much better.

"You missed dinner sweetheart I was worried and then you didn't come to bed. Have you not seen the time it's no longer bright out in case you haven't noticed" Mrs. Carson said and I was having a hard time believing if she really cares or is that fake sympathy I saw in her eyes.

"And Jen. I know you teach my son but ought you to also teach my husband as well  I don't suppose you are teaching my husband too?" She asked when I still hadn't uttered a word.

"No Miss as your husband said I was doing is work for him and I will be leaving now. So I will see you both tomorrow morning." I said hoping I sound as spiteful and hateful as I wanted to sound.

I gathered whatever little I had including my dignity and walked towards the door before  Mr. Carson's voice stopped me in my tracks, " Wait Jen, let me see you out. I feel dreadful having keeping you out and up so late. It would be my fault if something were to happen to you".

Without looking at him I replied with the words on the tip of my tongue rather than the respectful and appreciative ones forming in my mind, " Don't, I know my way around here. Good night to both of you" I said, before walking through the door and never looking behind me.

When I got home safely and was in the warmth of my bed I finally allowed myself to thing back to what happened earlier. Well that was certainly embarrassing I guess that is what I get for getting too comfortable too soon with someone that is not mines or will ever be.

I promise to myself I will be sure not to make the same mistake... again.

•••
If you made it to the end of this chapter I want to thank you for reading :⁠^⁠) and I encourage you to also vote, comment and leave me a follow.

Please recommend this story and tag me let me see you have. I appreciate everything you readers do for me and I welcome any criticism that will help me to become a better writer in the future, so let me know what you think of my writing.