Chapter 8

Jen’s Pov
“Are you sure you are alright? You haven’t said much since Morning. I don’t like this side of you” My head was on the desk as if sleeping but my ears were wide awake, listening to the words of Matthew.

He has asked the same question five times now and I’m about to give him the same answer five times again.

“Don’t worry about me I’m fine” I thank God that when I arrived earlier Mr. Carson was in deed out the community for the meeting he mentioned yesterday.

I couldn’t bare to look him in the eyes, not after what happened yesterday.

One would say it wasn’t a great deal but I beg the differ. It was a big deal for me. I felt like a naïve fool following yesterday occurrences.

“Are you and father sleeping together? Is that why he gave you the job of tutoring me and not someone else?” Matthew asked, his words successful in having me raise my head to get a better look at him.

“Of course not, your father is an honorable man.  Why would you ever think such a thing or say such words?” I asked, I’m sure disbelief is carved into my facial expression as curiosity is engraved in my eyes.

“I’m sorry I should not have cast such judgements on you or him. It is just that I know mother was not pleased last night. Especially since she found out that you had spent hours in father’s study, alone might I add” I sighed upon hearing his reason for his somewhat hurtful words earlier. Gossip does spreading silently but rapidly in this house.

That’s why I’m neither shock that he knows so much.

“Well if you must know I was only trying to help your father with his paper work. I have no intentions of being with a married man” I said with such certainty that I almost fooled myself. But if fooling myself was what I needed to do in order to make the right decision in this life then I must.

"Maybe you should try telling that last bit to mother and not me. Maybe she might reconsider taking you off her kill list" Matthew said, chuckling when he caught my horrid expression.

"You don't really mean that, do you?" I asked. If Mrs. Carson did have an agenda I certainly don't want to be on it.

If she holds any grudges for me in her heart I must ensure that I make things clear with her that I'm not a threat to her marriage or her family.

"Relax. I'm just messing with your head. No need to get all angsty now." With a murderous glare I stared at Matthew for a good thirty seconds trying to decide if I should throw my entire life away by committing murder.

Exhaling a breath of relief I settled on forgive him for rattling me for nothing

"Well then get back to work. I should like to see it when you have completed all questions not some but all and I want everything to be correct." I ordered making sure to emphasize before putting my head back on the hard desk.

"Jen, you know mathematics is not my strongest point. How do you expect me to get all questions correct? You must not do this to me" Mathew whined, and I was once again reminded of how much of a child he was.

It was so tempting to tell him the truth that infact mathematics wasn't the only subject he didn't have a strong point in. He didn't with all the other subjects.

But I  guess his need for an education is not that serious or urgent as his parents are well off already and I'm sure they wouldn't hesitate to use their power and position to an advantage if need be for their son.

"Then make it your strongest point. I'm not doing a thing to you.  You are doing it to yourself self. We have been through similar questions before these ones aren't calculated any different." Sometimes I fear I'm wasting my time on this one. I didn't realize teaching could be this hard.

As expected Matthew continued to gripe and make excuses."But when you do it, it is easy, that is the only way I understand"  I rubbed my temples, slowly feeling a migraine coming on.

"And that is precisely why you were given these question. So that you can learn to understand them on your own." I said explaining my self once more.

"Why do you always have a good answer to everything I say?" Matthew asked, taking our conversation for a turn. His questions no doubt leading to a completely different topic.

Assuming the direction this conversation will head in I try to put an end to it, "Careful now Matthew I might assume you're complimenting your teacher" I said with a sternness added to my tone.

"I would hardly count that as complimenting Jen. A true compliment would be me telling you how ravishing you look in this attire" I would take it that I was unsuccessful in trying to kill this conversation.

"Careful Mathew there is a thin line between giving an innocent compliment and flirting."

"But there is nothing innocent about me Jen" Matthew said, eyes glinting with mischief.

"That I doubt not. Now hand over your book. I should like to check the progress you have made so far." not hearing a word from a slowly look over to Matthew.

Well that  certainly got him to close the hole in his face.

When he came up to me I took the book from his hands and  checked his answers and as predicted his first answer was incorrect followed by the second one and then the third. This boy has learnt nothing.

"Say what we are finish here for today. We will make up for lost sessions tomorrow with extra ones but for now these questions are for you to try again later and bring to me tomorrow to look at " I finalized.

"Wait...but why are we dismissing already not that it bothers me or anything?" Matthew asked having already gather his books and was at the door before I could blind twice.

"Because Mathew you have have successfully achieved the goal of draining me of all my energy and giving me a migraine. " I groaned getting up and grabbing my satchel.

With a shake of head and a deep chuckle he walked off leaving me in the room. I was thankful he didn't decide to ask me anymore questions cause that would surely push me over the edge and into the abyss of madness.

"Just the person I wanted to see. I was hoping I might catch you here"

~~~
A penny for your thoughts?
Vote, comment and follow please
Recommend this story and tag me.