Chapter 9

Jen's POV

"Just the person I wanted to see. I was hoping I might catch you here" I heard the  unmistakable voice belonging to Mr. Carson filled the room.

What was he doing here? I was hoping to leave before his return so I did not have to face him but I guess that was inevitable.

"Mr. Carson what a surprise.I didn't know you'd be back so early...Mathew is trying to make progress and I gave him some work to finish up for tomorrow " I stated, hoping he would leave my presence right a away and never returned but it seems he had other plans.

"Well that's great news. But I'm afraid I'm not here about my son. It is you I came to see" he said a simply smile etched on his face.

"Well to what do I owe the pleasure?" I inquired, even though I had a hunch of what his untimely visit was about.

"About yesterday.." he began to say as expected before I interrupted him.

"You don't have to, as far as I know yesterday didn't happen" it was better we kept it in the past and never speak on it again, it will do us neither good.

"But it did and I want to. It is with my deepest sincere that I apologize if I ever made you feel any type of way yesterday." He stated and I noticed this time his accent was very prominent when he spoke.

"Apology accepted even though it was not needed. It was inappropriate of me to spend time with a married man and even so in a closed room without consulting his wife. So I guess I'm the one who should be apologizing to both you and Mrs. Carson." I finished with my toes curling in my shoe as he continued to stare at me with such intense eyes from across the room.

"Nonsense you and I both know that isn't true. You will apologize to no one. But if it so bothers you what my wife thinks of you then please I urge you to stay for dinner "  he offered and I knew I should have declined but instead I nodded my head and said the words that sealed my faith.

"Then I shall see you later"  I gave him my word which must have been what he wanted as his eyes lit up like a thousand fire flies.

"Great, then it's settled" he said stuffing his hands inside the pockets of one of his finest suits.

Time seemed to stop as we both stood still searching each other eyes and observing the rise and  fall of each other chests before Carson decided to leave me.

Sighing deeply I composed myself before quietly following behind him and making sure there are as many gaps between us so as to not give off any wrong impressions.

Leaving the home of the Carson's I made my way home in a haste. I needed to get ready for this much anticipated dinner that has set nothing but dread in the pit of my stomach since it's announcement. If I am to dine with one of the most elegant family in the community then I must dress elegant as well I'm sure Mrs. Carson wouldn't want it any other way.

As I stepped into the comforts of my home my brothers screams graced my ears in the most unpleasantness of ways  as they tumbled around upstairs not stopping until I heard the unmistakable shatter of a glass which I'm assuming is mother's most cherished vase from dad.

The house went silent so much so that the ticking of the clock in the living room was heard. I knew what was to come was inevitable when I saw mother making her way upstairs. Soon after a guttural bellow was heard strong enough to shake the house.
"Ren! Ran! Come here now!"

My heart felt heavy in my chest as I listened to how she spoke to them I hate it when she shouts at them even though they're the most stubbornness at times.

"Sometimes I wished I hadn't given birth to you two. You both have caused me nothing but regret and heartache! Go to your rooms I want to see neither of your faces until dinner" My fury was certain and the sudden urge to defend my brothers came along with it  too I wished she would consider before uttering such languages to them which is certain to damage their self esteem if they still had any remained.

I got myself settled on the couch before mother made her way downstairs carrying exactly what I suspected was damage. Her vase.

"What are you doing home so early? Don't tell me you got fired" She asked looking quite startled to have seem me

"Words are hurtful mother. They can impact the way someone sees their selves forever especially if those words are coming from a mother"  I said

"No Jen words are like winds they come through one ears and goes through the others when you have children of your own then you would know. So don't tell me how to raise Ren and Ran." She said as she emptied the glass pieces into a nearby bin.

"But mother what you said to them not too long ago was a little too harsh don't you think?" I asked, my voice rise in octave.

"No I don't and if you have a problem with everything I do maybe it's time for you to move out" she said her voice not holding an ounce of regret.

"Don't worry I will soon"  I said before I got up from my seat and made my ways upstairs to get ready. I stopped at my brother's bedroom to check on them and of course their eyes are puffy from tears and they weren't fine.

"Regardless of what mother said I know she loves you both very dearly. She's just upset at what happened though it doesn't excuse the words she said. But there isn't a day that goes by that I regret you two were born, that I regret I have two amazing brothers. I love you both more than you will ever know...

By the time I had finished tears were gathered at in my eyes blurring my gaze as we remained bundled under the covers, a flashlight our only source of light.

"Now that we are clear on that I'm going to need both of your help on picking out a dress. Who's up for it?"

~~~
Thanks for giving my story a chance :⁠^⁠)
Thoughts?
Please vote, comment and help build my following lists by giving a follow.