Chapter 12

The couple had arrived back home three days ago. Diamond was currently pacing back and forth in front of Liam’s door, feeling helpless.

Since they had arrived back home, Liam had fallen sick. Somewhere, and somehow, he caught a nasty cold, and now he was stuck in bed, barely moving in pain.

Knocking thrice, Diamond doesn’t wait for a response and softly enters the room.

“Liam.” She whispers softly, nearing the bed.

Liam doesn’t respond, and his eye remains closed, unmoving. Diamond extends her hand to his forehead before pulling back after a few seconds.

He’s still burning up. The cold compress didn’t work.

Liam shuffles about and his eyes slightly open, meeting Diamond’s worried gaze.

“Diamond.” He calls out his voice groggy.

“How are you feeling?”

“Sick.” He coughs out. “Travel blues.”

Diamond smiles at the helpless man in front of her. “Let’s go to the doctor, Liam. It’s been three days, and your fever hasn’t gone down yet.”

Liam attempts to shake his head. His forehead wrinkles in pain as he shuffles about trying to find a comfortable spot.

“I hate going to the doctor.” He mumbles. “I’ll be fine. I just need time to rest.”

“Liam please.” Diamond pleads. “You aren’t getting better, and I’m worried.”

“I’m fine, Diamond.” He says, straightening his lips in an attempt to smile. “I’ll be up on my feet in no time.”

Shaking her head at the stubborn man, Diamond leaves the room after promising to be back with something to eat.

“Martha, I don’t know how to help Liam. He’s adamant about not going to the hospital, but his fever is not going down at all.” She complains the moment she reaches the kitchen.

“Liam has always been like that, dear.” Martha responds, wiping her hands on her apron. “But Michelle had this special soup she always made when Liam was sick. It worked on him, too.”

“Really?” Diamond perks up, standing from her chair. “Do you have the recipe? I can make it right now since Liam has to eat.”

“I’m afraid not.” Martha responds, wiping all of Diamond’s hope away. “But you can ask Michelle. I’m sure she’ll be more than happy to share it with you, dear.”

“Me? Why?”

“Because you’re Liam’s wife.” She laughs. “You are now taking care of him instead of her. She won’t refuse to share the recipe with you.”

“Okay.” Diamond nods, taking out her phone. “I’ll call her right now and prepare the soup.”

“Alright dear. I’ll be leaving soon, too. My daughter is returning in a few hours.”

“Your daughter? Where was she?”

“She’s a flight attendant. She had a round trip to the Netherlands.”

“Ah.” Diamond says, realizing Martha had never mentioned having children. “Of course, Martha.”

Sending one last smile, Martha leaves the kitchen, allowing Diamond to start the call.

“Hello?” Mrs Park’s voice answered after two rings.

“Hello Mrs Park, it’s Diamond.” She mumbles through the speaker.

“Oh Diamond dear!” Mrs Park exclaims happily. “Lovely to hear from you, dear! What can I do for you?”

“Liam caught a cold after our trip to Paris and hasn’t made much progress yet. He’s running on a high fever, and I am at a loss since he refuses to go to the doctors.”

“Liam hates the hospital.” She responds.

“I know. He told me.” Diamond says, resting her free hand on the countertop. “Martha told me you used to make a special soup for Liam. I was wondering if…you could tell me the recipe?”

Diamond hears her laugh through the phone. “Of course, dear! I’d be more than happy to send it to you.”

Well, that was easy.

“Great then! Thank you so much, Mrs Park!” She says happily.

“What’s with the Mrs Park?” She scolds. “Call me mom, or Michelle. You’re Mrs Park now.”

Diamond coughs awkwardly.

“I’ll type the recipe for you dear then send it.”

“Thank you so much.”

“It’s a pleasure, dear. Goodbye!”

Michelle cuts the call, leaving Diamond to stare at her phone, waiting for the message.

Several seconds pass, and the message arrives on her phone. Diamond reads over the recipe a couple of times before getting all the necessary ingredients and begins to prepare the soup.

~~~

Diamond knocks at the door thrice once more before entering.

“I bought you some soup.” She announces, placing the tray next to his bed.

“I don’t think I can eat.” Liam croaks out. “My throat hurts.”

“It’s your moms’ soup. Martha told me it works for you. Come on, try it.” She urges.

After a bunch of pleas on Diamond’s behalf, Liam agrees to take in a few sips.

Diamond watches as Liam struggles to swallow down a spoon.

“Does it taste fine? I know it’s not like your mom’s but-”

“It’s tastes great.” He compliments. “You’re a good cook, Diamond.”

Diamond smiles proudly at herself, throwing a stray braid on her back.“Thank you.”

Liam manages to eat about three quarters of the soup before his throat starts to deny any more food. He mumbles an apology for not finishing it with Diamond waving him off.

“You did great. I know how much a sore throat can be a hustle.” She smiles and fixes his blankets. “I hope you feel better soon, Liam.”

“Thank you, Diamond.” He mutters and lowers himself back down to his pillows.

Diamond carries the tray and reaches the door. She glances at Liam once more before turning off the switch of the bedroom lights and heads downstairs to the kitchen. She clears up the dirty dishes and decides to move up to the library in case Liam calls her out for something.

~~~
Awww look at Diamond caring for Liam.

Vote
Comment
And
Follow

Instagram: jseraphina_writes
Website: selflivingcare.home.blog