Meet the family

Looking around Hakeem rubbed his hands together as he chewed.Once he swallowed he looked at Latoya,across the table and smiled.

"You got a really beautiful house miss Toya."
"Thank you Hakeem."Latoya smiled."Can you believe that your wife dosen't like it?"
Storm rolled her eyes."Mom,I've never said that I didn't like it.I've just merely insinuated that I don't want you living here."
"This coming from miss 'Proudly Born and raised in Queens."

Storm sent her mom a look.To which Latoya just sighed with a smile and continued eating her food.

"Can you guys stop?"Ciara whined."You're embarrassing me infront of  Hakeem Lyon."She batted her eyelashes in Hakeem's direction.

Storm furrowrd her eyebrows when she saw this,making her move closer to her husband,still in her chair.

"Ey.Stop flirting with my man."Storm playfully warned,making Hakeem smile,as he allowed himself to be kissed on the cheek.

Upon hearing a click,Storm pulled away from Hakeem with a sigh.

"Mom...what happened to the 'no phones at the dinner table'rule?Or did that just apply to me?"

Ciara rolled her eyes and lowered her phone,dropping it in her lap.

"Please."Ciara rolled her eyes."Stop being full of yourself.I was takin' a pic of Hakeem,not you."
"Ciara."Latoya sent her youngest daughter a warning look.
"Tell her-"
"Storm-Ann."Latoya turned her head,as Storm was mid-hairflip, giving her the same warning  look.

Storm looked down,playing with her nails and mumbled a barely audible 'sorry'.

She always thought it was strange that no matter how old,or famous she got...when she was back home,Storm still felt like the little girl racing against the street lights,so she wouldn't get in trouble with her mother.She kinda liked it though,seeing as it kept her humble.

Latoya's smile reappeared as she looked at Hakeem,across the table,who had his eyes fixed on the two sisters,amusement evident on his face.

Latoya sighed."This is my life."
Hakeem chuckled and shook his head."Nah,I get it.My kids fight like they ain't even related."
"Oh,that's right.You have two right?"Latoya asked.
Hakeem nodded his head."Bella and Prince."He said proudly,and pulled his phone out of his pocket.

He scrolled through his camera roll,and found a picture from his childrens' first days of school.By far his favourite picture of all time.

"Here baby."He passed it to Storm,wanting her to show Latoya.
"They're honestly the cutest ma."Storm awed at the photo before showing it to her mom.
"Aww."Latoya cooed."They're so precious.Raise them right Hakeem."
Hakeem nodded with a smile."I will."

"I can't believe y'all started eating without me."

All heads turned to the female,with teased hair,a brown latex dress,and stilts,standing in the diningroom archway.

"Barbie."Storm had a big smile on her face as she stood up and launched herself at her friend.
"Hey."Barbie and Storm ended their hug."Hakeem."She walked over to him and held her hand out."Its so nice to meet you.I'm Barbie."
"Yet another...interesting part of my life."Latoya spoke up,making Barbie pierce her lips.

Hakeem chuckeld,wiping his hands on a napkin,and stood up to hug Barbie,to her surprise.

"Woah.You must've heard a lot about me."
Hakeem pulled back,ending their embrace."Well,I did hear something about a sophmore that convinced my girl into busting the windows of a police chief car."
"Guilty as charged."Barbie held her hands up.

Barbie followed Storm,around the table and they both sat down.Then she reached over the table grabbing Ciara's plate.

"Hey."Ciara whined.
"Girl please."Barbie pursed her lips."You ain't even eating,you busy smiling at your phone."

Ciara rolled her eyes,bedore looking back down at the screen of her phone.

Conversation between the four had gone on throughout the course of the meal.Latoya asked Hakeem a few questions,Hakeem happily listened to stories about his wife when she was younger.The fact that she was embarrassed by most of them,amused him more.Barbie was also a major contributer to Hakeem's laughter,during the conversation.

After their meal,Storm had offered to take the plates to the kitchen.Only  walking back in the room,once she had,retaking her seat.

"Ma...when was the last time you spoke to dad?"Storm asked,looking down at her nails.

Everyone turned their heads in Latoya's direction as the sound of her dropping her utensils,echoed through the room.

Barbie quickly thought of something.

"Hey,C."

Ciara looked at Barbie.

"Why don't we go over to mine's quickly?Didn't you say you wanted to borrow my black dress?"
"And you said no."
"Girl."Barbie said warningly,making Ciara roll her eyes.
"Whatever."
"Thank you."Barbie got up and grabbed Ciara's hand."You are too much sometimes."
"Look who's talking."

That was the last thing heard before the door was shut.

"Ma..."
"Why are you asking about him?"

Storm just stared at her mother,not being able to come up with an answer.

"Uh,miss Toya...please don't be mad at her."Hakeem interjected."My family,they were interrogating her about all sorts of stuff."

Storm shook her head.

"No,ma,they weren't.They just asked about my background,and...it just got me thinking about him.That's all."
Latoya sighed."Its's been a minute.But I briefly spoke to him a couple of months ago,when he asked me for money."Irritation was evident in Latoya's voice.

Storm nodded,and they continued eating,however instead of laughter,questions and stories...the sound of utensils hitting against plates, filled the room

-----------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------