Chapter 3: Aftermath

Brianna's heart was pounding as she reached the front door of her house, relieved to finally be home and out of sight. She knew she had to act fast to avoid any questions from her mom. She unlocked the door and slipped inside, hoping that her mom wouldn't notice anything amiss.

"Brianna, is that you?" her mom called from the living room.

"Yeah, it's me," Brianna replied, her heart racing.

As she walked past the living room, her mom looked up from her book and did a double-take.

"Brianna, did you have another accident?" her mom asked, a hint of amusement in her voice.

Brianna felt her face flush with embarrassment. She knew that her mom was just joking, but the timing couldn't have been worse.

"No, Mom, I'm fine," Brianna replied, trying to sound as casual as possible.

But her mom wasn't easily fooled. "Are you sure? Your pants look a little wet."

Brianna panicked. She didn't want to lie to her mom, but she also didn't want to reveal what had happened with Brandon.

"I spilled some water on them," Brianna lied, hoping that her mom would buy it.

Her mom looked at her skeptically, but didn't press the issue. "Well, be more careful next time. We don't want you to turn into Pee-anna," she said, chuckling to herself.

Brianna forced a smile, but inside she was seething. She had always hated that nickname, and she hated it even more now that her mom had just made that joke at her expense.

Brianna retreated to her room, feeling a mix of shame and anger. She knew that she couldn't keep her accident a secret forever, but she didn't want to face her mom's teasing and disapproval. She got changed into clean clothes and then flopped down on her bed.

As she lay on her bed, Brianna couldn't help but replay the events of the day in her mind. She thought about how embarrassed she had felt when Brandon had seen her have an accident, and how confused she was by his confession. She didn't know how to feel about his attraction to accidents, but she knew that it made her feel uncomfortable.

Brianna lay there on her bed, lost in her thoughts when her mom knocked on her door.

"Brianna, can I come in?" her mom asked.

Brianna hesitated, not really in the mood to talk, but she knew that her mom wouldn't take no for an answer.

"Sure, come in," Brianna replied, sitting up on the bed.

Her mom came in and sat down next to her, looking at her with concern. "Brianna, I'm sorry if I upset you earlier. I didn't mean to make fun of you. I know that you haven't had an accident in a long time, and I should have been more sensitive."

Brianna felt a pang of guilt. She knew that her mom loved her and was just trying to lighten the mood, but she couldn't help feeling hurt by the constant teasing.

"It's okay, Mom," Brianna replied, trying to keep her voice even. "I'm just not feeling great right now."

Her mom put her arm around her, "I know, sweetie. You've had a rough day. Do you want to talk about it?"

Brianna shook her head, feeling like she couldn't open up to her mom about what had happened with Brandon. She didn't want to risk her mom's disapproval or judgment.

"I just need some time to myself," Brianna said, trying to hide the tears that were welling up in her eyes.

Her mom nodded, giving her a gentle squeeze. "Okay, honey. You know that I'm always here for you if you need anything. Just take your time and rest, okay?"