Chapter Seven

Why am I being singled out? Sure, Gunner is with me, but still. My hands are clasped on my thighs as I bounce my knees. I don't understand what is going on."I'm sure its just procedure," Gunner whispers, but I shake my head.

"I have a clean record," I tell him. "I've never missed a medical check-up. I've renewed my Pass, I never missed an hour of schoolwork. I might be asking a lot of questions, but that doesn't put me on anyone's list."

"Hello, River and Gunner," Alison says as she appears on the screen in front of us. "I am sure you are wondering why you have been summoned. I assure you, it is nothing to-"

She glitches and the picture changes to Clarissa Delgado.

"I'm sorry," she says, glancing around. "I asked Alison to choose someone at random and she gave me your names. I am sure you know who I am, so I will make this brief. My mental breakdown during Night Hours, as people have been saying, is not a result of being overwhelmed. I have sat in that chair for too long, letting the Elites dictate what news I am allowed to share with the people. They are lying to everyone and the only way I can prove it is to send someone to the surface with a live camera.

"River Barton and Gunner Westmore, are you willing to help me show the people what is really happening in the outside world?"

Clarissa glances around again before the screen returns to Alison.

"A tunnel car will arrive shortly to bring you to Clarissa Delgado's habitat," she says, smiling blankly; it's like she is looking at something behind us, but there's nothing except a wall.

The screen goes black and I look at Gunner.

"Weird," he says, shaking his head.

"Very," I add, sighing. "Are we going to do it?"

"Riv, Mayer Henderson said-"

"Mayor Henderson read us a script, Gunner. Clarissa Delgado is the most trusted reporter in our generation. I think we should, at the very least, hear what else she has to say."

"I get that, but this is very strange. It just feels off."

I sigh; I cannot argue with that, but the off feeling I am having is not to do with Clarissa.

"I'm going to go and hear her out," I say, holding up my hands. "Maybe she can shed some light on my conspiracy theories."

I don't wait for Gunner to decide if he is coming with me. My mind is made up as I march toward the exit and sprint toward the tunnels. I pass several of my peers, but I don't acknowledge them. As I am about to reach the transportation area, someone grabs my shoulder.

I swing around, grabbing my attacker by surprise and knocking them to their back. Never thought I would ever use my self-defense skills for anything, but never say never. With my right fist clenched, poised to punch, I realize who it is.

"Sorry," I say, offering Gunner my hand to help him back on his feet.

"Don't apologize," he replies, dusting off his backside. "I should have called out first... I don't see how one person's word would stand against the Elites, but you're right. We should at least hear what she has to say."

A small sense of relief comes over me. I grab his hand, leading the way to the approaching tunnel car. There isn't a driver. I've never seen a car without a driver before. Gunner and I exchange a look before climbing in.

 Gunner and I exchange a look before climbing in