Chapter Seventeen

Phoenix is a ball of excitement as we step out of the elevator and walk through the warehouse. Mama is clinging to my free arm while I try to keep my brother from running off without us.

"Gunner is waiting for us," I say, exhaling as I remember how I was forced to leave him tied to a tree. "He'll be so glad to see you both."

"I cannot believe you have been involved in this," Mama says, but she sounds more relieved than anything."It's a story for another day. For now, let's go home."

As we reach the exit doors, I placed Phoenix's hand into Mama's and pushed the door as wide as it can go. It's still daylight, and the gasps from my family make everything worth it. I smile as I turn to Mama and Phoenix, the looks on their faces are priceless.

"River, it's blue!" Phoenix shouts, jumping up and down. "Just like your story!"

His joy and Mama's tears are everything.

"It's only the beginning," I tell them, waving them to follow. "C'mon; I have a few surprises for you."

The moment I see Gunner, I race to his side and cut his ties with the pocket knife from his boot

"Sheesh, am I glad to see you," he says, hugging me from his seated position on the ground; he must've figured out a way to stay comfortable.

"Gunner!"

Phoenix has found his way into our embrace and Mama joins a moment later. Our huddle is warm, but it's a pleasant warmth. Expressions of our gratitude and happiness.

After a while, Gunner initiates our departure. Phoenix points out every new, exciting thing. Specifically, the birds and little woodland creatures. As we continue our trek back toward our neighborhood, a vehicle pulls up beside us. I recognize the driver.

"Mama," I say, turning to her and taking her hands into mine. "You are about to have a bit of a shock. So, please; remember to take deep breaths."

"What do you mean?" she asks, but then her gaze falls on the person exiting the driver's side of the vehicle. And she gasps.

Her grip on my hands tightens and I turn around. Dad is standing there, smiling bashfully. I sigh, carefully prying Mama's fingers off. There are a lot of unresolved emotions in her heart. Phoenix is the one to speak up first.

"Dad?" he asks, walking toward him. "Are you really you?"

Dad chuckles and replies, "Yeah, buddy; it's me... It's a long walk back to the houses. Can I give you all a ride?"

"Did you know we were going to be coming back now?" I ask; the goal was to return by tomorrow morning."No, but I was following Sandra. I tailed her and waited to see who turned up first... when I ran into Jonathan."

The name strikes a chord as Gunner moves to stand beside me.

"He told me what Sandra has been up to and that she had blackmailed him to silence," Dad goes on with a heavy sigh. "River, you are right... Gunner, I owe you an apology. I've held things against you that were not your fault. Would you be willing to start over, for River's sake?"

I have to hold back a smile as Gunner moves forward to shake my Dad's hand.

"Of course," he says, "and thank you."

Mama finally jumps into my father's arms as Gunner moves aside, placing his arm around my shoulders.

I'm staring out the window, watching Gunner talk to his father for the first time in a long time. I can't help wondering what the man saw in Sandra, but he clearly married her because he thought he would need to move on.

Phoenix is sitting on the sofa behind me, enjoying the calm atmosphere and the stable ground. One day I will tell him everything; I will tell him about the machines in the Bunker that create the illusion of bomb vibrations. About the lies, we were told to keep us from asking questions. And I will tell him about my brief time as a Surface Worker on the Elite Level. My little brother doesn't fully understand why we are here now, but one day he will.

Gunner turns and waves at me. Our predetermined signal for me to go out and meet his father. I walk toward the sliding glass doors on the side of the house and make my way to the Westmore men. I'm nervous because I know Gunner will have explained our budding relationship. We both want full approval from our parents. Getting it from Mr. Westmore hasn't felt like a necessity until now.

"River," Gunner says, taking my hand I stand beside him. "You remember my dad. Dad, River Barton."

"Mr. Westmore," I say, shaking his hand.

"My son was always fond of your company," he says with a friendly smile. "I cannot begin to say how sorry I am for what Sandra was doing... She knew what Gunner looked like and made it clear she was not above harming him to keep me from finishing what we started. I couldn't even tell Greg or Barton. Letting them believe I turned on them wasn't too far from my behavior toward them."

I nod, "I'm very fond of his company too. And I think we can all agree that we should be grateful for where we are now. Sandra's threats never happened and you are now in the clear."

"It's also now very clear why Alison chose us at random," Gunner chuckles and I realize he's right.

"Alison chose your last names because they matched the ones she knew belonged to the people who got things started," Gunner's father adds, nodding. "I remember Elijah telling Mayor Bennett to make sure his family was alerted first."

"What bout Greg's family?" I ask as we start walking back to the house. "Did he want them to join him, too?"

"Greg was promised to someone," Mr. Westmore replies, shaking his head. "But when he told her what he was going to do, she didn't want him making promises. Not sure where she is now... People are going to be filling the streets tomorrow. If you hope to keep the house you're in, I recommend changing all the locks."

Gunner assures him we have plans to make the house our own. We go inside and Gunner decides to show Phoenix the entertainment systems. Mama is catching up with Dad; I think he is showing her the house and hopes she will move in with him. Finding out someone you loved and thought was dead, but is completely alive, it's rough. But I know my mother and the fact she hasn't decided to remarry before now says a lot.

Our lives are changing, but there isn't anything we can't handle. The Bunker was our home for a long time, but where we are now is going to be so much better. For everyone.

[wordcount1168]