Epilogue

It's been so long. I'm worried things have changed. People piled out of the Bunker for months and it took just as long to relocate families. Civilians were flown to different parts of the country; friends were separated.

"Can you help me fix my collar," Gunner says as he comes out of the closet. "I think it's deformed or something. I can't get it to stay folded properly."

I smile and reach behind his neck. The card-like fabric folds down as I apply gentle pressure at the back.

"There," I say, patting his chest. "You just wanted my help."

"Yeah, I did," he chuckles, kissing my cheek. "You ready?"

"No."

Gunner chuckles, shaking his head.

"People are reconnecting all over the place," he says, placing his hands on my shoulders. "I'm sure everything will be fine."

I sigh, pulling away to check my skirt in the mirror. Gunner stands behind me, smiling at our reflections.

"You look great," he says as I wipe down the front of my skirt. "Your mother really worked hard on your outfit."

"Her in-house sewing business is doing well," I say, nodding. "If wearing something she made helps raises interest, I'm happy to do it... She showed me her ideas for my dress."

"That's a surprise I look forward to, Riv. C'mon, let's go to the meeting place."

I keep bouncing my legs with my hands clasped together

I keep bouncing my legs with my hands clasped together. My nerves are shot, but I am excited. Gunner is sitting across the table from me. We're at a cafe owned by one of the merchant families from the Bunker. It's a nice place with great nibbles and even greater coffee. Gunner and I come here twice a week, but today is different.

"River!"

Before I know it, I'm wrapped up in a tight hug, struggling to breathe.

"Hello, Anise," I wheeze; she laughs-sobs and releases me, sitting in the chair beside me. "Wow, love your hair!"

"Thanks!" she beams, shaking out her black and purple locks. "I met a lovely woman who does hair. I was hoping for a change and she said this was the thing to do."

"You'll have to give me some way to contact her. I will need someone to do my hair in a few months. Engagement party, wedding shower; wedding day."

Anise's mouth falls open as she looks at Gunner. He smiles but keeps his attention on the menu in his hands.

"I knew something was going on, but I didn't think you'd wait so long," she says, shrugging. "But if your year has been anything like mine, I understand why you would wait. New lifestyle, lots of habitual change and adjusting. How is your brother, your mother?"

"Phoenix is living it up," I reply, motioning to my clothes. "Mama is thriving and making very decent attire. And my father works with Gunner's father at a loading dock. Some habits die hard. What about you?"

"Well, I tried to stick to Bert like glue, but Sharleen sunk her teeth in and didn't let go. Better him and not me. Besides, I met someone new, I just don't know where it's going yet."

We talk for hours and order coffee and muffins. Gunner minds his own business, but now and then he contributes his thoughts. Eventually, Anise has to leave or she will miss her train. I hate to see her leave, but as Gunner and I walk through the quiet lane of shops, I know I will see her again. It's not like I won't talk to her.

I'm lost in thought, distracted as I bump into another young woman.

Oh, I am so sorry!" I say, touching her shoulder.

"It's fine!" she replies and I stare at her face; her eyes are unnaturally blue. "Have a pleasant evening!"

She smiles and continues on her way.

"Did you see that?" I whisper to Gunner, watching the woman's back as she disappears into one of the shops.

"I saw it," he whispers as I meet his gaze. "What did I see?"

I glance back, visualizing her face, but unable to form the words.

"Never mind," I say, hooking my hand on his elbow. "Let's go visit my brother."

"Great idea."

Gunner steals a quick kiss before we go on our way.

THE END.

[wordcount:700]