-chapter seven-

Will sighed and opened the door as the three boys dejectedly trudged inside. They had just come back from the police station, and Mike was still swearing to himself about cops and not getting to see his girlfriend.

Jonathon paused, and turned back to the driveway, "uh, guys?"

The pair looked over and saw that a shiny black car was parked neatly outside their house. Mike walked over to it curiously, and then Will felt his heart jump into his throat. He opened the door again and barged into the quiet house. "Sev?"

"We're in here." He heard the boy call sullenly from the kitchen. Johnathon and Mike caught up, and they all stared in shock as they saw a woman in a suit sitting at their kitchen table with two men dressed like officers. Sev was sitting opposite them with his knees under his chin, a coke on the table and his backpack near his feet.

Will ran over to him, and then turned to the three people, "Who are you?"

Johnathon sighed and placed his palms on the table, "I'm sorry, I'm having trouble understanding any of this. I mean, what is going on in Hawkins? What's doing these killings?"

The woman looked at him slowly, "That's what we're trying to ascertain."

Mike shuffled in his seat with a frown. "Okay, so where is El? Like right now?"

"For her safety, its best you didn't know."

"Bullshit." Sev muttered, glaring at the can of coke in front of him. He blinked and swallowed the lump in his throat and turned away from it to see the woman checking her watch, almost bored. "So, this training to get El's powers back, who longs it gonna take?"

"It could take weeks; it could take months."

"Months?" Will yelped, not seeing Sev flinch at his loud outburst. The woman didn't seem affected, "until then, agents Harmon and Wallace will stay with you."

"We're not in danger, our friends live in Hawkins."

"My family lives in Hawkins." Mike pleaded. She just blinked once at him and turned back to Johnathon, "I'll work to contain the situation until Eleven is ready. Until then, it is of vital importance that you do not speak to anyone about this. I know this is difficult to understand."

"It's not difficult, it's impossible!"

"There are factions within our government who are working directly against Eleven. Who are, in fact, searching for her as we speak. We can't risk contact. If they learn any of this, it will jeopardise Eleven. And if Eleven is jeopardised, then so are your friends." She turned to Mike, "And so is your family."

"What so we're just supposed to trust that you're the good guys?" Mike shot back, "Whoever you are?"

"We're friends of Owens. Eleven trusted us. Now we're asking the same from you. For you."

Sev sat at the kitchen table still, flicking through his comic. He wasn't really reading it, not that he needed to, to know what was happening in it, but his brain was working overtime. He had his headphones on, mainly so that nobody would talk to him, but someone hadn't seemed to get the message.

Mike sat down next to him with a sigh, glaring at the two agents slumped on the couch watching TV from over the benchtop. He looked like he was trying to be casual with Sev, for whatever reason he had, so he took his headphones off and raised an eyebrow at Mike. "Yes?"