Chapter seven

"So, are you going to tell me what has you so upset?" Perez asked, drinking his wine.

Luke was underneath the covers, his head the only thing showing. He was still moping even though it's been six hours since the confrontation with Rolus. Perez only arrived an hour ago.

He had his key to the suite, so he found Luke curled up in bed, mood suffocating.

"I'm fine," Luke grumbled out, his voice having an edge. Perez didn't miss it.

"Of course you're fine," Perez mocked, putting his empty glass on the side table.

Luke glared at him. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means," Perez said, taking off his blazer and putting it on the chair. He took off his shoes, together with his socks. He loosened the first few buttons of his shirt and sat back down on the bed, refilling his glass. "You're lying."

Luke kept quiet, covering his head with the covers, his back to Perez. Perez finished his glass and set it on the side table, then got under the covers.

He put his hand around Luke, even though Luke tensed at the contact. Something was clearly bothering him.

It wasn't until Perez was dozing off that he felt Luke shift. He pried his eyes open, seeing Luke sitting down on the bed. His mind was a bit hazy, struggling to truly decipher the expression on Luke's face. He sat up, rubbing his eyes.

Upon closer inspection, Perez saw that Luke's eyes were red. "What's the matter?"

"I'm fine," he replied, getting off the bed. His shirt was creased since he was sleeping in it.

Perez groaned, getting off the bed to follow Luke out of the room. They stepped out into the kitchen, with Luke grabbing a beer from the fridge. He sat on the counter, drinking the beer.

"You don't look fine to me. Did something happen at the party?" Perez asked, still a distance away from Luke. In the state he was in, Luke was easily irritable. At this point, Perez was just testing him.

The glare Perez received made him flinch. Luke rolled his eyes at that. He thought it wouldn't hurt to disclose some of the things weighing heavily on his heart. It could be relieving even if he shared the burden.

He finished his beer, then put the empty can aside. Running a hand down his face, he looked at Perez, feeling slightly guilty for making his stay miserable.

"There's just something I discovered, about... about my cousin. She's an Alpha, Alpha Leticia. I found out something that I was not supposed to find," he said, feeling bitter that he was tweaking the truth.

Perez nodded his head for Luke to continue.

Luke sighed, his heart heavy with guilt and sadness. "I just found out that Rolus found his mate, my cousin. He rejected her."

Luke felt his heart beat harder than ever, afraid that Perez might piece things together if he didn't get his emotions under control. Luke couldn't even look at Perez after his revelation. "I'm just angry and upset for her. I'm reminded of when I thought he killed my sister."

Perez came closer to Luke, hugging him. "I'm sorry. Do you want me to pay him a visit?"

Luke laughed, but he was mortified. Luke knew what Perez meant. His improved Killex was still very much in the picture, even when Luke tried to convince him to let it go. He shook his head, pushing Perez away from him so that he could get off the counter. He led them back to the bedroom. He did feel a little better that Perez cared enough to suggest paying Rolus a visit.

If Perez ever found out that Luke found his mate, even if it was Rolus, Luke knew he would want to end whatever they were doing. Perez did make it clear that when Luke found his mate, to tell him immediately. Perez respected the mate bond that much.