Chapter eighteen

By the time Luke awoke, Rolus had already tidied up the table, categorized the papers on Luke's table and put them in their boxes. He also managed to finish two reports with Peter's help.

Since he's already spent about four hours in Luke's Pack, he called Charlotte to go back to the Pack, only to find out she was already back. She went immediately after purchasing the treadmills.

Rolus gave Luke the laptop to go over the finished reports.

"You done with your reports?" Luke asked, making a few corrections.

"Last week. I'm only waiting for the Meeting."

"Thank you. Looks perfect. Let me go freshen up and I'll be back. You want something to eat?"

"Liliana brought me lunch earlier. I'm good."

Luke narrowed his eyes at the news. "Liliana was in my office?"

"To bring me lunch," Rolus defended.

Luke nodded, but Rolus could see the unease in his eyes. Luke left, closing the door on his way out.

At least Luke seemed to trust Rolus enough to give him his password, and let him look at sensitive Pack business. Progress. That was progress.

Luke came back a while later. He sat back on his chair, and closed his laptop. "So, to what do I owe the visit?"

Rolus fished out the letter from his pants' pocket and gave it to Luke. Luke read it, his face scrunching up at every word he absorbed. "What's this?"

Rolus resisted the urge to say he didn't like a stupid mate. "I'm getting a replacement mate if I don't choose a Luna of my liking by a month."

"I can read that. What I don't understand is why you gave it to me," Luke seemed genuinely confused.

"I'm doing what you told me to do; keep you in the loop," Rolus replied, taking back the letter from Luke. "I wanted your opinion on it. I thought we could decide on it together."

"What if I refuse? Would you support my decision?"

Rolus didn't feel like arguing, but he still couldn't just agree just because Luke didn't look at the bigger picture. "I would agree, but I want us to think about it."

"What's there to think about?"

Now Luke was being difficult. "What this would mean for us. I don't know where we stand now, but we're doing this for our future. If I agree to find a replacement mate myself, then we have the Council off our backs. We could decide after the Annual Meeting on what we are going to do. Just think about it, in the meantime."

"Alright. We'll decided after the Meeting. Are you leaving now?" Luke asked, somehow hesitant.

"After I go to Liliana and-"

"What have you been up to there? Hope Liliana is not involving you in her shenanigans, right? Because I hope you're smart enough to not fall for her bullshit."

Rolus looked down, shamed because he did fall for her 'bullshit' and now he can't bail. But that was a story for another day. Right now, he had to go to the Eagle before those rascals mess up his mood board like they so eagerly wanted to.
_________

It was around six when he arrived back at his Pack. Most of the people have moved indoors, so it was a scare when he saw Sierra waiting for him outside, he assumed she waited for him.

She had hands behind her back, no smile in place, and for a moment, Rolus was scared of her. That was until he remembered that he was the Alpha.

He still gulped in fear.