Chapter twenty-one

The next couple of days, Luke spent time with Rolus. Peter and the others were understanding, that Luke had to spend time with his mate.

Pack matters and work were usually less hectic after the Annual Pack Meeting, so it was the perfect time to 'bond' with Rolus.

Rolus was such a great help with Alpha Shaw. He accompanied Luke to Alpha Shaw's Pack. His son, Kelvin, welcomed them. He told them they should have killed the fossil and they were welcome to try again. Rolus found it hilarious. Luke didn't. He didn't see himself wishing ill upon his father. He told that to Rolus. Rolus explained that it was a matter of perspective. He said a real father would have gave Kevin the Alpha title by now. In fact, he was supposed to have given his son the title the time Luke and Rolus' fathers became Alphas. That's how old Kevin was. By now, his grandson should have been Alpha. But no, Shaw kept the title to himself. At this rate, he was going to give the title when he was dead, to which Kevin was hoping he dies.

Still, Luke begged to differ.

He and Rolus made progress. Progress as in they were inching towards friendship. Well, better than nothing he guessed. Luke still struggled with the idea of them being mates. He hated the man for so long that them sitting down, having a conversation, or just quietly enjoying each other's company, seemed awkward when he reminisced.

Luke was happy that he found his mate, despite the mate being Rolus, who came with a lot of baggage. Others would say he should be grateful that Rolus was acknowledging him in the first place despite being a 'defect'. He begged to differ because Rolus came with a lot on his plate too. His situation was worse.

Some days, Luke was afraid when the day came that Rolus rejected him for real. He feared for the deterioration of his health, but most of all, he feared for his Pack should he die. At least he still had his parents. But it was a drag being the only child. Why couldn't his parents make more children?

If Rolus were to reject him, Rolus would come out unscathed, as his father lived long. Maybe his father suffered, but he had a replacement mate. Luke didn't know if they substituted enough as true mates.

They still haven't discussed the issue of getting a replacement mate in a month as Robert suggested. Luke thinks they were avoiding the issue. Well, Luke tried to bring it up, but Rolus always changed the subject. He was actually the one avoiding the issue.

"You know, it would be in your best interest to get accustomed to my touch so that you wouldn't feel like you're electrocuted when you accidentally touch me." Luke said that in regards to Rolus seeming like he was going to die when he accidentally touched Luke.

He was about to protest, but before he could, Luke touched Rolus on the hand with his finger. The reaction was priceless.

Luke chuckled at Rolus' heated glare.

"What is wrong with you?" Rolus asked, fuming.

"It was kind of funny when you jumped away."

"No, it wasn't. You think what? Your touch tickles?" Rolus deadpanned.

The glint of mischief in Luke's eyes had Rolus shaking his head in disapproval.

"Want to test again how my touch tickles?" Luke mocked, standing and wiggling his fingers.

"Don't you dare!" Rolus threatened. Luke was amused because he could see the fear in Rolus' eyes. "If you touch me, I'll find a fucking replacement mate!"

Luke stopped, smile diminishing. Rolus looked like he regretted what he said when he tried to douse the fire by saying, "I didn't mean that. It just came out."

"Really?" Luke asked. Rolus nodded. "Then let's test it out, shall we?"

Rolus didn't have time to react before Luke grabbed his arm. Rolus looked like his brain was deep fried. He kept still, eyes portraying what his hands couldn't. He was livid.