Chapter sixteen

Luke forced himself to eat the food. Rolus didn't seem to have a problem eating his food.

When they were done, the waiter came to take their plates. Luke tried to ask Rolus to continue with the reasons why he rejected him.

"Most of what you were told was true, but there's some vital information that was left out. And I don't trust you enough to divulge that. For now, just know that punishment for defying the contract is my Pack being taken away from me, stripped of my duties, and you being killed in front of me."

Luke felt like Rolus was not serious enough. He spoke as if it was uninteresting news. "What's in the contract?"

Rolus refilled his glass. "Like I said, I don't trust you enough to divulge that."

"Then what was the point of taking me out? Wasn't it to talk about why you rejected me in the first place?" Luke asked, already feeling the buzz of the drink he had. He's already had three refills. Rolus blew a fuse, complaining about the embarrassment of being seen with Luke who would be presumed to be an alcoholic. Luke never realised it, but Rolus was a perfectionist.

"Were you not listening to me? If I were to accept you, I would lose my Pack, and you would be killed."

"So you did this for your Pack?" Luke asked, hiding a smile.

"And for you! You would have been killed for nothing. Don't you-" he stopped himself when he saw Luke trying to suppress a smile. "What's wrong with you?"

"Nothing. Just wanted to hear you say you cared about my safety." Luke no longer hid the amused smile. He grinned.

Rolus glared. "What? You thought I would just reject my mate for the fun of it? I did it to protect you."

"Would've been nice to have been informed of that, you know? Eight years ago."

"You think I haven't been suffering too? And you're a fine one to talk. It's not like you have been suffering all along. You speak as though it would have made a difference to accept you."

Luke sighed. His condition was starting to bother him because Rolus talked as if he had a choice in the matter of having it. "It would have made a difference because at this age, we would have worked something out and comfortable now. I would have learnt to love you and you would have your mate bond to love me."

Rolus ran a hand through his hair, messing it up. "I tried to tell you, but you were still hung up on your sister to listen to me. You kept insisting that your sister was my mate."

Luke didn't say anything because Rolus was kind of right. He hated to admit it, but Rolus was right. "Okay, fine. You should have at least told me about the severity of the Council situation. I would have understood." Rolus sent him a look that said he didn't believe him. "Okay, fine. What's the way forward now?"

"What's the way forward? You make sure not a soul in your Pack goes around telling strangers we're mates. And keep that Perez of yours on a leash. I'll handle everything myself."

Luke chuckled, not believing Rolus had everything under control. "It's safe to say now that I'm too involved in your shenanigans to just brush me aside. I want in."

"Really?" Rolus looked annoyed. "You've done enough damage already."

"Let's not argue about this. It's better if you keep me in the loop so that I don't do another damage. Now that this is out of the way, we can discuss the way forward. How are you holding up?"

Rolus picked up his glass and drank. "Holding up? With what?"

"The effect of the mate bond."

"That? I have immense discipline. And I have enough self control. Don't worry about me," he replied.