Chapter Two: Chaperoned By An Owl

Chapter Two: Chaperoned By An Owl  

                Gray Skies paced the forest floor as he waited for Deniah beside The Witching Tree. The woman was never on time. She tried to do too much and it always stole all the minutes in a day that she should be spending on herself and relaxation.

                He heard the hoot of an owl in the distance and knew it was a warning. Many were angry that he dared continue to see the white woman with hair like fire. He wished they could understand that every beat of his heart called out her name, then they would see that he had no choice.

                A flash of red caught Gray Skies attention and he ceased his pacing and felt his breath catch when she came into sight.

                He had seen many beautiful things in this world but Deniah was the single most breathtaking things that the Great Spirit had ever created. She had pale freckle-dotted skin, soft gray eyes and full pink lips. Her hair was the color of flames—all red and orange with streaks of gold that caught the sunlight. She had a soft body, full chest and rounded hips that made his hands itch with the need to touch her and his arms yearn to hold her close.

                The owl hooted again and Gray Skies took a deep breath to reign in his emotions. A life with Deniah by his side was a life that could not happen. His people, and hers, would not allow it.

                When her gray eyes saw him standing there her entire face lit up with her smile. “I’m sorry I’m late!” she exclaimed apologetically. She held up the basket, hooked in the crook of her arm. “I wanted to bring you something to eat.”

                “Chicken?” Gray Skies questioned hopefully. Chicken was his favorite, but of course Deniah knew that.

                “Yes. Why don’t we walk to the river? It seems a much better place to have our picnic.” She offered.

                The owl hooted once more and Gray Skies whipped his head around, glaring at the bird he could see sitting on a branch in the distance. Gray Skies hoped the threat in his eyes would be easy enough to read and slowly the owl unfurled its wings and took flight, disappearing into the thick forest.

                “Odd seeing an owl out and about this time of day.” Deniah mused. “The birds around here are full of surprises.”

                “Have you seen your crow again?” Gray Skies asked with amusement as he held out his arm and Deniah looped hers through it.

                They started the walk to the river and Deniah blushed and pushed her red hair behind her ear. She had worn it down today with only a few tiny pins holding it away from her face. Gray Skies loved when her hair was free and yet he hated it as well. He wanted to touch it desperately and could rarely find a good enough excuse to act on that urge.

                “It is not my crow.” Deniah whispered with embarrassment. “I cannot even be certain it is the same crow. I’ve been seeing the bird for years. How long do crows live?”

                “I am not certain.” Gray Skies replied, a smile playing on his lips. He never smiled unless he was with Deniah. Only she could bring out the lighter side of him. “What was it you said attracts you to him?”  

                Deniah’s face reddened even more, her freckles standing out sharply. “Honestly, Gray! Why are you teasing me so? I am not attracted to a bird! I simply said he has the most intense and expressive eyes I have ever seen an animal have.”