Chapter Eight: Punishment and Signs

                Gray Skies had known this moment was coming, he had only hoped the elders would allow him more time to grieve. It seemed they were not going to do that however as they had summoned him to the chief’s teepee.

                His brother’s body had not even been buried a full hour and Gray Skies was now facing punishment. He pushed aside the flap and stepped into the dark interior, his eyes quickly taking in the four men who had been waiting on him.

                “Gray Skies, you have much to tell us.” Chief Big Sky stated. His brown eyes were the only pair not looking at him with anger or judgment.

                With a sigh, Gray Skies retold the story of what had happened to end his brother’s life and all of the events leading up to it. When he finished he sat there in tense silence and awaited their ruling.

                “Were you not warned that bad things would come from seeing that pale skinned woman?” Big Sky questioned.

                “Yes.” Gray Skies replied, keeping his gaze on the bear fur rug he was seated upon.

                “And yet you chose to go against our people’s wishes and see her.”

                “Yes.” Guilt ripped at Gray Skies heart.

                “And because of that your brother is now dead.”

                “Yes.”

                “Do you vow to never see your pale woman again?” Big Sky asked. “Can you do your brother that honor?”

                Gray Skies did not reply because he suspected the answer would not be one they wanted to hear. The answer was no. Gray Skies could not make that vow. Not now. His mind was too clouded, his thoughts too jumbled and his emotions too raw.

                “Leave us.” Big Sky ordered, his eyes not appearing as kind as they had when Gray Skies had entered. “We will discuss what the consequences of your choices shall be.”

                Gray Skies stood and made his way to the flap, stopping and bowing his head at the last moment. “I will humbly accept any punishment you feel I have earned however nothing you do to me can cause me near the pain as the loss I have just suffered.”

                Without waiting for a response, Gray Skies left the teepee. He met his father’s eyes across the camp and saw, even from this distance, the way they filled with disappointment and sadness.

                Suddenly he could not take it anymore. He had to get away even if only for an hour. Gray Skies ran into the woods, allowing his feet to carry him quickly across the leaf and rock strewn ground. He did not stop until he came to a rocky outcropping full of caves, waterfalls and a peaceful calm that Gray Skies needed to feel.

                He untied the leather strap holding his knife on his leg and took off his buckskin pants and shoes. The warm breeze blew against his bare skin and slowly his stress began to melt away. While his mind was still crowded he though he may actually be able to think through his tangled thoughts out here. Gray Skies walked to the edge of the rocks and look down the jagged cliff line to the pool of water one hundred yards below.

                He took in a deep breath, stretched his arms over his head and leapt over the cliff, his body falling swiftly toward the jagged rocks and pulsing current below.