Ch 05 Chemin to the Truth

Original Upload: April 9, 2013

Chapter 05 "Chemin to the Truth"

I was sitting in the teachers' lounge staring at the clock hoping for the time to go faster. I felt like a gazelle entering a lion's den. The hungry eyes bore into me, waiting to pounce on their latest victim. One inspector was pacing around up and down the room while the other was looking straight at me being calm. What did they know? Why did they call only me here?

Questions like those were pressing into my skull while I was looking down to the floor, sitting on a blue chair on the other side of the gray table. After about five minutes, the awkward silence broke with the cop sitting down in front of me. He began, "Hello Kathleen, I'm Inspector William and this is my partner Inspector Kelly. Can you answer a few questions for us?

"Sure," I said.

"Do you know what happened to Adam?" asked William.

"He's dead, isn't he?" I replied fast but normally so they wouldn't suspect anything.

Suddenly Inspector Kelly stopped and turned his whole body towards me looking at me very strangely. Then he yelled, "No! What happened between you and Adam?" As I soon heard that, time went to a complete stop. I heard my heart beating loud and uncontrollably. Thinking about what really happened made my heart ache. How I did nothing to stop it. My throat was getting dryer every second. My throat was as dry as the Sahara. It felt like the room was getting smaller as both cops were staring at me, watching my every move.

"Nothing happened," I said.

"But a lot kids that were at Justin Caylen's party said that you and Adam left together that night," said inspector Kelly. Damn! I couldn't tell them that I wasn't. There were witnesses. If I denied that fact, they would assume I would lie about every word that came out of my mouth. I looked both inspectors in the eyes and told them part of the truth. "Yes. Adam and I did leave together but then all of sudden he disappeared," I said.

"Are you sure?" Inspector William said.

While sitting in the teachers' lounge being questioned by strangers, it felt like they were playing "good cop, bad cop". I looked at Inspector William directly and said, "Yes, I'm sure." Suddenly, Inspector William let me go. When I got up and walked towards the door, I could feel their stares piercing my back.

I kept walking without turning one bit. I just kept looking forward and started reaching for the tarnished door knob. Before I could escape from here, the voice of Inspector Kelly filled the air. "Don't think we're done with you. We'll be watching," he said. I stepped out of the room and closed the door shut behind me. They'll be watching? Me?

I pulled out my phone to see what time it was. It was already the second period. I ran to get to chemistry. As I walked in, the first thing I heard was Ms. Kennedy. "You're late. Take your seat," she demanded.

I quickly went to take my seat next to Hanna. I pulled my notebook out of my bag to take notes. Ms. Kennedy turned back to the board to continue her lesson. While she was explaining the grouping of chemical elements, Hanna poked me hoping she was getting my attention. I turned my head forty five degrees to the right. Hanna's blue eyes grew big as she kept staring at me.

"What?" I told her so she could quickly say something.

"Well, what happened?" she said softly.

I looked into Hanna's eyes, and I could see what she was hiding in her eyes. Fear.

"I told them enough so they can back off for a while."

Hanna turned her head, feeling relieved. While writing notes, my phone rang. Ms. Kennedy turned her head with a fierce attitude, demanding, "Whoever's phone is that, turn it off now!"

She turned her head back around and I quickly put my phone on vibrate. When I looked at the screen, I noticed that I had an unread message by an unknown number. I opened the message being really curious. It said:

If you wanna know the truth

you're gonna need proof

I'll be waiting at the town fair

can't wait to meet

-Truth or Dare

Truth or Dare? Truth or Dare! Without hesitating I instantly showed Hanna. As she read, her eyes widened. I put my phone in my bag before Ms. Kennedy could say or see anything. As soon as chemistry finished, Hanna and I decided to skip our next period.

We decided to go to the old library in the back of the school, because nobody usually goes there and it's basically a safe place for us to have our conversation.

"Who sent this?" I asked Hanna.

"I don't know. At first I thought it was Adam, but since he's dead. I don't know who to point the fingers on," she said with one hand placed on her chin, sitting still as a statue.

So if Adam is dead, then who could have possibly sent it? If it's not Adam then who? Hanna suddenly said, "I guess we have to go."

"What? Why?" I asked.

"Do you want to know the truth or not?" she replied.

I really do want to know the truth but knowing the truth doesn't always give the answers you want. Sure it gives you the answers you need but also gives you the answers you don't want to hear. I didn't say anything but looked down.

"Well, I'm going. I'm not letting anybody else know our secrets," Hanna said, determined that she was able to find out who was doing this.

She continues, "If you want to know who is doing this to us, then come to the town fair later at seven o' clock."

She left the library without turning back, not even once. Should I go? The day went smoothly after that. During the sixth period, Jacqueline was caught dancing to herself by Ms. Lalli. Thinking about it now was still hilarious.

As the bell rang, Jacqueline came out of nowhere and asked if I wanted a ride home. I then told her that I had somewhere to go.

"I'll bring you," she offered.

"Sure," I replied.

Jacqueline brought me to Hanna's house because Hanna left early so I couldn't get a ride from her. Jacqueline left right after I got out of the car. I knocked Hanna's door knowing she was there. Hanna opened the door with a smile on her face.

"So you are coming," she said. She moved her body aside so I could come inside. I stepped into the house. I asked, "Where's Sky? Did you tell her about anything?" Hanna nodded and said, "She's going to the town fair by herself."

So we were all going to this "truth or dare" person to find out the truth, but I hope this would help us. Hopefully, things would go smoothly. We could all want things to go right, but it didn't mean that it would.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, an update. I'm doing a spring sport now. But i should be able to update from time to time. so you next time.

- Whitney