The Bet *Sparks

Happy Reading! :)

Chapter 10 *Sparks*

~Sophia

"What did you like about the movie?" Drake asks when the movie ended.

I don't know what to say. Truth is, I haven't seen some parts of the movie because I was busy staring at his face. Come on, Sophia, think fast. My head is like a blank sheet of paper. I can't even think of anything so I say, "You first." My voice is rough so I clear my throat.

Drake thinks for a moment. Finally, he says, "Despite the fact that they know nothing about each other, they still believed that they will see each other again."

"Me too," I mumble, which is true. "And it's really destiny because Jonathan's girlfriend was the one who gave him the book which contained the name and number of Sara."

"Yeah," he says, laughing. "The part where Sara wrote her number and then it was lost in the wind was amusing."

I laughed at that too. Poor Jonathan and Sara, the odds were never in their favor in the beginning of the film.

"I don't like the kid, though."

"Which kid?" I ask, albeit I know who he's talking about.

"The kid on the elevator," he says. "Because of him, they didn't see each other."

"At least we know that they picked the same number in the elevator. And if they saw each other already, the movie will have a quick ending."

"I know," he says thoughtfully. "You don't have to understand. You just have to have faith." That was what Jonathan said to Sara. Hah. Even if I haven't seen some parts of the movie, I recognized what he said.

"Faith in what?" I ask, smiling. This is what Sara replied to Jonathan.

"Destiny," he says, smiling in return.

"If two people are meant to be together, it doesn't mean they have to be together right now," I say softly.

Drake turns to look at me.

Staring at someone is rude, I want to say, but his gaze is so steady I find myself tongue-tied. I want to look away but he captures my eyes in his mesmerizing gaze. I'm like an ice cream, melting in my seat. You have to say something, Sophia.

"Um, what I said earlier, I . . uh, ." Shoot! I'm stuttering again. I take a deep breath and continue, "That was for Jonathan and Sara."

"Because if two people are meant to be together, they will find a way not to be separated, and they did," he says.

"Yeah, right," I mutter.

Phew! I'm glad he understand me because half of what I said to him doesn't make sense to me.

"Come on," he says suddenly.

"Where are we going?" I ask. "I thought I'm going to help you study in Literature."

"That can wait for tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?"

"Yeah."

"So where are we going?" I repeat.

He smiles playfully, refusing to answer my question.

"Fine, you go," I say, "I'm going to stay here."

Drake frowns at me. "Just trust me," he says, standing up. He walks to the TV screen and turns it off.

Trust me? The thought lingers in my mind, never wanting to be erased.