The Bet *Thirteen and Seventeen

Happy Reading! (:

Chapter 39 Part 1 *Thirteen and Seventeen

~Sophia

The moment I wake up, the first thought that comes to my mind is today’s the thirteenth day of the bet.

The second thought I have is today’s my birthday.

13th Day. 17th Birthday.

Hah. Ironic? I think so.

Other people will be excited to open their cell phone and read all the birthday wishes they received. Me, in the meantime is lazy even to get up and start the day.

They say that your birthday is very different from other (ordinary) days because, hey, today’s your day! You, and just only you. Well, except for the people sharing the same day of your birth. But still, you can pretend it’s your own day because after waiting for three hundred sixty four days, your one and only day finally arrived. That’s why you need to celebrate. . .

Right?

I’m still sleepy. I don’t even want to go to school. I can imagine what would my face look like when my friends greet me a happy birthday. It’s hard to think of something to do when they sing a happy birthday to you. It’s embarassing and not, at the same time.

I think I’m the only one who’s not excited on my birthday. But I don’t know why I feel nervous, and there’s this feeling I have that can foresee something that might happen.

It's just another day for me. I doubt something unexpected will happen. What’s with the blabbering? I know, I’m just procrastinating.

Sighing, I get my phone and open it.

Nothing.

Is this possible? Is my network not working? Why don’t I have a new message? There’s probably some error because. . .

Don’t tell me my parents forget it? What about Parker, and Driana?

The people close to me sure know that today’s my birthday.

Parker! He gave me a present but he forgot that today’s the day! I know, it’s still my birthday until later but he usually greets me at midnight. And this is the first time he doesn’t. Maybe he gets tired, because he knows that I don’t like it. Maybe, finally, he listens to me.

And then Driana. I was just with her last night. She used to call me at exactly 5:17 in the morning.

In the corner of my eyes, I see the time in my alarm clock. 6:49AM.

 My parents. When will I see them? It looks like I’m on my own. Is my mom not thinking about the day she gave birth to me? She’s probably busy with her own things.

Why do I feel disappointed if I don’t want to celebrate my birthday?

It’s just that, they are the people close to me, and then they don’t even remember this day.

Don’t you hate it when you don’t want something but it keeps coming and when you want it, it doesn’t happen?

Ugh! I hate this feeling!

Something tugs at my chest. Why do I feel like crying? It’s so childish to cry when no one greets you on your birthday. Especially when you yourself don’t care about it.

The day is just starting but I want it to end already. I don’t want to be lonely today. It’s hard to be lonely than alone. Yes, the two are very different from each other.