The Bet *Futile Chance

Happy Reading! (:

Chapter 54 *Futile Chance*

~Drake

 “Did you two have a fight?”

 “What are you talking about?” I ask.

 I’m on my way to my first afternoon class, Literature, when Driana pops out of nowhere and blocks my path.

 “Sophia’s been acting weird lately,” she replies, biting her lower lip and looking worried.

Pie didn’t tell my twin sister about what happened between us. I don’t know if I should be glad or not. Like Pie, I haven’t told Andre about us.

 “Did you two have a fight?” she repeats. “I don’t know what’s wrong. I don’t have an idea. We were eating and then—“

 “Calm down,” I say, putting my hands on her shoulders. She speaks really fast when she’s furious. “I don’t understand you.”

 It’s unusual to see my sister like this. Suddenly, I’m afraid. I look at her from head to toe to make sure she’s okay. I don’t find anything out of the ordinary. Don’t tell me—

 “It’s Sophia,” she says slowly.

 “What happened?” I ask, unconsciously gripping her shoulders.

 But she doesn’t notice. Now I’m the one freaking out.

 “She cut her afternoon classes.”

 “What?” I don’t understand. I let my sister out of my grip and wait for her to explain.

 “See, Sophia never, as in never, in her life cut class. Not even a single one,” she says, a concern expression on her face.

 “Maybe something came up so she decided to go home or. . .” I trail off, thinking positive thoughts.

 “I don’t know.”

 “Didn’t she tell you anything?” I inquire.

  “No,” Driana mumbles, playing with the hem of her shirt.

 “Have you tried calling her phone?”

 “Yes. But it’s out of coverage area.”

 “What about her mom?” I ask hopefully.

 “Yes. She was even surprised that I called her,” she says.

 “Did she say anything about Sophia?”

 “No. . . She’s at home, same with her husband. She even asked me what Sophia is doing. And when she asked me why I was calling, I said that I dialed the wrong number.” She smiles sheepishly and continues, “I don’t want them to worry about their daughter.”

 I guess I know what this is all about. Maybe she doesn’t want to see me. Especially we’re classmates in Literature.

 I close my eyes and imagine the places where she would go. And there are many. I don’t even know where to start.

 What are you going to do? My voice wonders.

 What do you think? I retort.

 Would I ask if I know the answer?

 You’ll see.

 I walk to the direction leading to the parking lof of the school.

 “Where are you going?” Driana calls after me.