[8]

Kakashi put his hand in the air and lowered it shouting 'Begin!' before jumping back out of the way. Neither combatant moved, they just stood there analyzing the situation and forming battle plans in their heads. Well, Sasuke was. Naruto was just standing there with his hands by his side, which infuriated Sasuke to no end. How was the idiot planning to fight him if he hadn't taken a stance yet? Something about this just didn't seem right, and knowing about Naruto's unpredictable nature as he did, he opted to activate the Sharingan. If his opponent was going to let his power hang out, then so would he.

Kakashi watched all this with wide eyes. Neither man had moved yet and he was already sweating about the outcome. He didn't really want to see either hurt, but knew in his heart that Naruto couldn't win. It just wasn't possible to beat the Sharingan. That's why Naruto was never able to bring Sasuke home. He simply couldn't stand up to the awesomeness of that eye. Sasuke was the elite, a noble, someone who was gifted from birth. Naruto had no finesse, and even though he was of noble blood, you'd never be able to tell it from the way he acted. He had no air of dignity, and even though he worked hard, it just couldn't overcome his deficiencies. 'It's just too bad. Once Sasuke makes his move it'll all be over. Poor Naruto…'

Ino stood on the sidelines practically foaming at the mouth. While she had a link to her mate that allowed them to communicate without fail, her own powers had been amplified to where she could pick up the subconscious thoughts of others if she concentrated on them. Ino had been picking her way through the crowd, seeing what they thought of the match. 99 of the people wanted Sasuke ground into hamburger meat, but there were a few that simply would not back a demon. The council had somehow gotten wind of the match and had come scurrying like the rats they were to see their precious Rokudaime Hokage beat the snot out of the worthless Uzumaki. Then she had picked up on Kakashi's thoughts and had gone into such a silent rage that she began to shake and Gaara had to calm her by putting his hand on her shoulder. Unfortunately, Naruto had felt her rage through the link and had asked her what the problem was.

'It's nothing, dear, except that your former teacher has decided you don't have a snowball's chance in hell of beating the traitor. I heard him thinking that your hard work would never amount to anything basically.'

'So yet another person who just gives things to the Uchiha. Not like Hatake ever did anything different when we were growing up. What he said was not only an insult to me but also to our friend Lee and his sensei Gai. I will not stand for this. Please, don't interrupt me in this fight Ino. I want to show them my true power.'

'Of course Naruto. Have fun and hurry up. We never got to have another dance.'

Sasuke stared at Naruto wondering what the hell was going on. He had seen the blonde stiffen in one instance, then relax, and now he was…chuckling? What the hell was going on in his head? Was the fox cracking jokes now? Perhaps a trip inside with Tsukuyomi would be appropriate. Suddenly the deep voice of Naruto boomed out over the mountain.

"TSUNADE! I'm afraid I won't be able to keep my promise to you about this battle. It seems that certain former teachers believe that a genius can overcome hard work and I will not stand for that. LEE! I'm dedicating this to you. THE FLAMES OF YOUTH SHALL PREVAIL!"

He was answered with a loud 'YOSH!' from two distinguishable characters in forest green kimonos with orange sashes. Tacky, but suited the wearers to a tee. No one could accuse them of being boring, that was for sure. But as their cries of 'youth' rang out, a certain silver haired jounin was looking wide-eyed at a certain blonde wondering how he had found out what he was thinking. Tsunade was beside herself with worry. She didn't know now what Naruto would do and she couldn't stop him if she wanted to (and she really didn't want to). Hell, the whole village couldn't stop him even at half power. Murmurs flew throughout the crowd, wondering what he was talking about holding back for. You don't hold back in a fight against a Sharingan wielder. Tired of the constant insults to her mate, Ino shouted above the din.