[13]

Naruto scowled as he sat on the steps leading to the throne. He didn't want the people thinking he was too high and mighty, so he sat on the top step and addressed them.

"Alright, let's set a few things straight. I'm not stupid enough to barge in and think I'm going to change everything at once, but there are going to be some changes. I lived in a ninja village, a military state, and I liked the system there. It needed some amendments here and there, but for the most part Konoha got it right. They have a class system there too, and its complete bullshit. Favoritism is one of my biggest peeves and I will not tolerate it here. Blood means nothing to me. If you are strong you are strong, if you are smart then you are smart."

"I don't believe that any one person is better than the next. In my younger days I would run around spouting how much better I was than everyone else. I was a fool. There were plenty better than me. Here, in my kingdom, all will have a chance to be of importance. I won't have a class system that keeps bright and promising minds and bodies down. All will have a chance or none will."

The murmur that passed through the gathering of foxes was audible. If they didn't have a class system, how were they to tell who was important and who wasn't? Naruto caught some of the worried whispers and knew they came from the upper class.

"Do not fear. Those who consider themselves noble can still have their noble blood. But no longer will those of supposed 'inferior' blood be relegated to mere servants or slaves. In my army, those of strong body will be warriors and shall fight for our causes or the cause of our summoners. Those with sound minds will be advisors and strategists. Our people will unite in a way never before seen to the vulpine. Is this acceptable?"

The council stepped forward and sat at the bottom of the steps, Kazama and Hinamori on each end and a large red fox in the middle. The red fox was obviously older than the other two and as such was the spokesperson.

Lord Naruto, these are admittedly good ideas, but how can you keep a class system and still have equality? If someone is noble then they will always be better than someone of ignoble blood.

"That might be true. But I don't believe so. I have friends back home, who came from no name houses. Rock Lee, Haruno Sakura, TenTen, they all came from no name houses or were orphans. But they are excellent shinobi, held in the highest esteem even though their blood does not wax noble. If one of the lower class shows aptitude or ability, we should not suppress it, we should encourage it. If we deny anyone the chance to better themselves then we are cutting off our noses to spite our own faces."

But what of the servants? What of the workers? What will happen to our quality of life?

"Your quality of life should not change. I merely wish to beef up our military and make our people knowledgable. Tell me, do all the children know of the illustrious history of the vulpine?"

No, the lower class children do not.

"That will be rectified. I want to put up a library of our accomplishments and let the children and any who seek knowledge be able to access it. The vulpine are a proud race, a proud people, but over the years you have fallen to the side because of a terrible ruler and isolationalism. You have sanctioned yourself off from the rest of the demon realms and for what? To be left alone? To not know what goes on in the world outside? This must be changed."

Very well. I find the idea intriguing at least. What of our summoners? I know that you have let some mortals sign the contract that has not been used for eons. Who has it and are they trustworthy?

"Indeed they are. The signers are my wife and my son. I wish to let the children of my ex wife sign as well, if only to protect them from their asshole of a father. I have offered our services as the protectors of Konoha and I expect you all to serve in times of need. The contract will be passed down through my son's family and it will be an heirloom."