Chapter 1 - Mistaken Identity

The shadows crept along the side of the brick wall, where darkness hid them well. It looked for a soul to take, not just for pleasure but for the taking itself. The sun had fallen behind the horizon, casting out the last of its rays to the abyss of nothingness that tugged at its core. There in that darkness, it found its victim. On the dirty streets below, the young woman ran. Her white gown flailing in the wind as she ran rounded a corner. Her long red hair tugged at the garment, snagging at anything it could find. It was the hunger of the beast's stomach that made her run into the night, growling ever so deeply as it approached the cowering being. Its silence crept over her, she never knew it was coming, but as a single breath crept over her, did she look up to the thing's eyes. She tried to scream, to shout for help, but the oxygen in her lungs had been cut off and she began to gag instead. She clawed at nothing, struggling to free herself, her eyes bulging, did she take one last breath before she fell into the pits of hell. The shadow grinned with delight, knowing that it had taken yet another soul. It tore into her flesh, eating away the carnage and leaving no sign of life. Weeks of hunger had come to a close; it had to move on, another victim, another town for its taking. So it disappeared into the darkness, leaving a trail for the eyes of those who dared to come after it.

Chicago, 11:45pm

Sam watched from the alleyway as the Shadow took the young woman. He'd been late arriving at the scene and watched in dismay as another life was taken. He lifted his heavy duffel with a sigh of resignation. What was Dean going to say about this when he found out that his little brother hadn't gotten to the one person who understood the whole ordeal? Boy! He was in a heap of trouble when he met back up with his brother.

"Damn! He is going to kick my ass for this one." He muttered as he threw his bag into the car. He climbed in and slammed the door, sitting, contemplating on what his next move was going to be. It was only a few minutes before he heard his phone go off. He looked at the screen and muttered a silent curse. Dean was calling to confirm the kill. Shit.

He flipped the phone and answered, "Yes?"

"You get that son of a bitch this time Sammy?"

Sam paused, "Dean, no I –"

He was cut off, "What do you mean no? We had to kill him tonight! What about Layla? She's alright" he asked frantically.

"Layla's dead Dean. I was too late."

"Dammit Sam! I gave you a simple order and you screwed up! What the hell are we going to do now?"

Sam rubbed the bridge of his nose, he was exhausted from the lack of sleep and Dean screaming on the phone didn't help matters; in fact, a migraine was slowly starting. "There has to be others out there to help us Dean. Layla wasn't the only one."

"But she was the only one I cared about Sam."

"What about Cassie? Is she just someone to toy with now too?"

Dean slammed the phone against something hard, cursing. He was pissed and that anger would only result in him beating up Sam when he got his hands on him. "Get your ass back to the hotel, we have to leave NOW!" he yelled and the connection was cut off.

Great. Perfect. I'm a dead brother. Sam said to himself as he started the car and drove back up Main Street to the hotel in which they'd been staying at. He didn't know it, but the Shadow had plans for the brothers and soon they would come to light.

**********

Dean paced the hotel room; their bags were packed, the only thing delaying him was Sam. He was angry at his brother; sick to his gut about Layla, but the way he'd spoken to Sam was the worst of all. How the hell was he going to get through the night when all he wanted to do was kill Sam?

"Dammit! Shit!" he muttered as the door to the room opened and Sam entered.

Dean stopped in his tracks and glared at Sam. "We're going now. Grab your stuff and let's go."

Sam acknowledged and grabbed his stuff, only to be slapped upon the head. He glared down at Dean, "What the hell was that for?"

"For getting Layla killed."

"Jesus, she was in the way to begin with and I screwed up like once and you're pissed. Get over yourself Dean."

Dean dropped his stuff and turned to his brother. "Get over it? I cared deeply for Layla and she knew the answers to what is in store for us. She was going to tell us who killed mom for god's sake!"

Sam shook his head, "OT."

"OT, what the hell is OT?" Dean yelled.

"Ol Torchy, Layla called it that. As for the Shadow, she called it the Devil."

"And how would you know that?"

"Remember my nightmares? Well they're coming true Dean, every single one of them."

Dean stopped and looked up at Sam, "What happens next then? Do I hit you again?"

Sam shook his head, "Our fights aren't there, just what we need to know. I think Layla comes to me in my dreams to help guide us."

Dean laughs, "What do you think she is an angel? Ok Sam, you really need help now."

"What the hell else would you call it then?"

"A mind that is so screwed up, you don't know right from wrong." Dean said and shook his head.

"Screw you Dean." Sam said, "Let's get out of here and see where fate leads us."

"You go first psycho boy. I don't trust you any longer." He said and watched as Sam left the room.

Dean sighed, how Sammy boy would take it when he realized that brother dearest was going to die and that this Dean was going to kill him.

"Well Sammy, you're in for a real treat." He said and left the room, locking it behind him.