Chapter Seven

HANNAH'S POV

"Come on Hannah you have to admit that he's cute." Jada teases as we watch Wyatt grab his lunch from the hospital cafeteria line.

Wyatt is the temp nurse that she keeps trying to set me up with.

"He is also five years younger." I retort.

Wyatt is a 6'3 curly hair, dark skinned cutie with brown enticing eyes I can look at all day. I am woman enough to admit that I am attracted to him but I also know he is too young for me.

"Come on girl, live a little. You only regret the things that you don't do." Jada advices.

"That's a stupid quote and I know for a fact that I'll regret it if anything happens between Wyatt and I.

"Argh fine, we'll find you someone else." Jada concedes agreeing to let it go.

"Why am I friends with you?" I groan as I watch Wyatt pay for his food.

I see his friends wave him over and he has to pass by our table to get to them.

"Ladies." He greet politely in a sexy Australian baritone that has Jada squealing excitedly.

"Hi." I reply for both of us as Jada is too busy trying to remember how to breath.

"You are engaged." I scold my best friend.

"I know and I love Tom with all of my heart but it doesn't hurt to look." She grins at me as if anything she's just said makes any sense.

I am about to call her our on her shit when my phone vibrates in my pocket. I always have it on vibrate when I'm working. I retrieve it and I am surprised to see the caller ID as Phoenix Federal Correctional Institution. I know only one person in there but he doesn't have my number so I have no idea what the call us about. Or does he?

"You have received a call from Phoenix. Federal Correctional Institution, to accept rhe call, press one." The automatic operator narrates.

I really hope they aren't calling me to inform me of Santiago's death. We haven't talked in more than a month but I still care about him and want him to be okay. Jada looks at me confused as I press one but I ignore her and concentrate on the call hoping it's not bad news.

"Hello." I answer as calmly as I can muster.

"Hannah." A sexy baritone with a faint Cuban accent replies making my breath hitch.

Everyone who told him that he had a Cuban accent was right as I hear Santiago call out my name.

"Cesar." I reply breathlessly after a long moment of silence.

I can't believe it's him on the other side of the call. I am relieved to hear his voice and confirm that he is alive but then it pegs the question as to why he is calling me. I didn't even know he had my number since I never gave it to him.

"I'm sorry to calm so randomly. I hope I am not disturbing you." He apologizes.

Fuck why does he have to be so polite and have such a sexy voice? It's a deep bass that has me clenching my thighs in response.

"No, it's okay. I'm actually having dinner." I assure him.

Jada taps my hand making me look at her,"Who is it? " She mouths but I shake my head knowing she will overreact if I tell her who it is.

Thankfully a colleague joins us and engages her in a conversation about one of her ongoing cases giving me time to talk to Santiago without interruption.

"Okay good, how are you? How are you holding up? Did you go back to work yet?" He asks me sounding genuinely concerned.

A part of me thought that Santiago's letters were an obligation he had to fulfill due to his friendship with my brother but hearing him sound so concerned about me makes me realize that its much more than that. In a way Santiago genuinely cares about me.