Chapter Sixteen

HANNAH'S POV

"I've got the wine." Jada yells as she lets herself into the house.

"And I've got the pizza." Renee adds.

I hear them take off their shoes so I leave the kitchen drying off my hands with a paper towel.

"And you're both two hours late." I retort when I see them both.

"I got stuck at work, sorry." Jada apologizes taking off her jacket after putting the bottle of wine down on the coffee table.

"And I gave you all a niece who's not always happy to see me go so cut some slack." Renee defends.

"Just get in here already, I'm hungry and after the day I had, I need some wine in me." I demands inviting them to the kitchen.

"Do we need a corkscrew or is it a twist off." I inquire as I get some glasses and plates from the cabinet.

"It's a twist off." Jada replies.

She opens the bottle up and pours us some wine. I take mine and drain it in one go, burping afterwards. I look up to see my friends gaping at me in awe.

"We can just give you the whole bottle." Jada says pushing it towards me.

"I'm better now. It's just been a long day at work. We were at a homeless shelter and it took its toll on me physically, mentally and emotionally." I explain.

"Is that why you're still in your scrubs?" Renee asks.

"Yeah, I took a nap as soon as I got home. Only work up five minutes before you guys got here."I reply.

I feel a headache coming in so I release my braids free of the tight bun I've had them on all day.

"I thought you volunteered for this work. You said it's rewarding being able to help the community." Renee inquires.

"It is and I promise you, I love it. It's just sometimes seeing these people hooked on drugs, living on the streets, some with kids makes my heart bleed. It's so sad." I express.

My two best friends give me sympathetic looks before burying me into a giant group hug.

"You're doing your best Hannah and that's all that matters." Jada consoles.

"Thank you guys." I mumble taking in their love and support.

We pull away and open up the pizza box digging in foregoing the plates all together.

"Do you know where you'll be next week? I know you don't work on weekends?" Jada asks.

The good thing about this new job is because it's like working a 9-5 with more pay. It's taking its toll on me but I want to believe that the work I am doing is worth it.

"Not yet, we receive the location the night before so I'll be getting a text before the end of the night or over the weekend." I reply.

"What if it's FCI?" Jada inquires.

"Don't even joke about it." I grumble.

"You haven't told Santiago yet?" Renee challenges.

"No, I'm scared." I admit.

"Of what." They ask simultaneously.

"Our first fight was about me pushing on wanting to see him and him saying no. If I tell him that I might be going to FCI for work, I am afraid that he'll think I did this just so I can see him." I explain.

I don't want Santiago to think that I'm being pushy or that I manipulated this just so we could meet.

"Hannah you don't have that kind of power." Renee reasons.