Four

Eden

Every time I look at the Reaper he's staring intently at me, making me grow increasingly more uncomfortable as we walk through the fruit and vegetable gardens. I'm not sure what exactly I'm supposed to be "showing" this man, so we've just been walking aimlessly in silence for the past twenty minutes.

He finally takes the initiative to speak first. "Your home is beautiful." I look at him out of the corner of my eye and respond. "We take great care of our surroundings, the forest provides all we need, taking care of the land and animals that inhabit it is the least we can do."

He smiles at me with that same burning look in his eyes, the look that makes my heart beat faster. Knowing he has impeccable hearing accompanied by his other increased senses makes me even more anxious.

Can he hear the effect he has on me?

My anxiety grows and my heart beats undoubtedly faster.

Chill, Eden, calm down. Why is he having such an effect on me? Why does he keep looking at me this way?

Not realizing I locked eyes with him I quickly look away, not knowing how long I was staring into his golden gaze.

We pass under the orange trees and he snatches a perfectly ripe one off a branch, peeling it quickly and popping a slice into his mouth. "Hmm, reminds me of our first encounter." He smiles deviously at me, and I involuntarily let out a small gasp, surprised at the mention of our awkward first meeting, I should have known he would bring this up eventually. His cocky demeanor makes me want to slap the orange right out of his hand.

He chuckles at my reaction. "It was quite the impression you left on me, I spent the night thinking about you. The fiery look in your eyes, the cold blade you held at my throat, the smell of citrus on your hands,"

He spent the night thinking about me?

I clear my throat before responding, trying to stay composed despite my embarrassment at the mention of our first meeting. "I'm truly sorry about that, Jericho, we've not ever had an unexpected visitor here, I was jumping to conclusions and focused solely on protecting my girls, I regret my actions."

Why was that like pulling out a splinter? I hate admitting that I was, in fact, being a fool. And have no one to blame but my own irrational self. Unless..

Unless it really was him in my dream. How would I know though? Maybe tonight I will sleep without any magic protecting me, and see if he visits me again.

Jericho clears his throat drawing me from my thoughts. "I respect your determination to protect your friends, no matter the cost, Aries is wise to have you as her right hand."

I scoff at his words. "Aries may have given me the title, but she runs things alone and rarely includes me in important decision making, I'm by her side because I've been her only constant over the decades." I blurt without thinking about what's leaving my mouth.

I whip my head in his direction, his face is calm and free of any judgement I felt I would find there. "Some people struggle sharing positions of power, feeling that their choices are always best for everyone, instead of listening to others thoughts and opinions." He reaches out his hand with a couple slices of the peeled orange left, an offering.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't talk about Aries in such a way, please ignore my rambling." I mumble to him, he gives a slight nod in response.

I take the slices of orange and pop them into my mouth without thinking about it, out of the corner of my eye I can see Jericho studying my mouth as I clean the juice from my fingers, I try not to blush as I finish the fruit and wipe my hands on my skirt instead. I turn away from him and continue with the walk we're supposed to be on, he's quick to follow me, always staying right at my side, seemingly getting closer as the day drags on, though maybe I'm imagining it.