Eighteen

Eden

The further up we go the colder and harsher the air feels, I hold my cloak closed to protect myself from the elements. Ajal and Jericho walk on either side of me, though nothing was said I know they're trying to keep me warm by squishing me between their warmth.

The sun is now beginning to set, and it feels like we've barely made a dent in our journey. Jericho has had to remind me several times we can't teleport around searching for her, we don't want to pop up in the wrong place and give away our position, alerting Aries of our presence, and giving her time to escape and hide away again would be less than ideal.

"We have to rest before dark, these mountains aren't safe at night. Would you be able to put a barrier around us to keep us hidden while we rested?" Jericho asks as he slows his pace, seeming to begin his search for a good spot to stop for the night.

"I could do that, it would be a bit draining, but it's definitely possible, and I'll have it done quickly." I say, feeling a bit excited to use my magic for something useful.

He nods to himself as we come to a stop at a spot, seeming to decide this will do. "I'll set up the tent and supplies while you work your magic." He says to me as he brings me into his arms for a swift kiss to my forehead before releasing me, the interaction seeming to not last long enough for my liking.

This is what I asked for. I sigh to myself before I begin circling the area where Jericho is setting up our things for the night. I quietly chant my protection spell, creating an invisible wall and shield. Nothing will be able to see or hear us from the outside. A barrier this small is almost no problem for me.

Me and Jericho finish around the same time, he has our tent ready and supplies unpacked at the same time I finish placing my final rune for our barrier for the night. Ajal is resting right by the opening of the tent, obviously a bit too big to enter it, the thought of Ajal having to sleep outside makes me feel bad.

"He likes to sleep outside, not only to keep guard while we're on a journey, but he also enjoys it." Jericho says as he walks up to me, seeing as we're both done there's nothing else to do but eat and rest.

We eat quickly before climbing into the dark tent, before getting under the blankets together. Thankfully Jericho seems to still be okay with sleeping with his arms around me, whether it's because he wants to cuddle me or if it's because he's worried I'll freeze to death, I'm unsure of. But I'm thankful either way, because I was freezing, and Jericho is always unnaturally warm, in a nice way.

"Try to actually get some rest." He says to me, his lips close to my ear as he holds me from behind. "Trust me, I'm barely even awake at this point.." I mumble sleepily. He chuckles softly into my hair as I drift off to sleep as the wind howls into the night.

❅──────✦──────❅

Ten tiny fingers.
Ten tiny toes.
A cute little face, with a perfect little nose.
A joyful day, now turned to grief.
A blessing stolen, while my soul weeps.
Ten tiny fingers.
Ten tiny toes.
No breath escapes his little lips.
No light will ever shine from his eyes.
Though his soul left, I begged for it to be mine.
Ten tiny fingers.
Ten tiny toes.
You entered this world in silence with eyes closed.
My screams of grief shatter the night.
My child is cold as I hold him tight.
Ten tiny fingers..
Ten tiny toes..

My child.
My love.
My life.

Born as cold and silent as the dead of winters night.