Thirteen

Eden

It feels as though we've been walking for most of the day, my feet ache like they haven't in decades, and the sun is growing hotter it seems.. But at least the trees finally have green leaves on them in this area, thick vegetation covers the ground, and the smell of rain is faint in the air, signaling that a cool summer rain must be brewing in the distance.

Clouds and cool rain water? Sign me up. Just as long as it doesn't come pouring down on us, anyways.

Jericho walks beside me, now carrying a satchel over his shoulder, I insisted we stop to load up on food and other supplies we may need along the way before we left the village this morning.

I eye it, thinking about snatching an apple out, before I can reach out for it Jericho already has his hand inside of it rummaging around before he pulls out a red apple and holds it out to me.

I happily grab it from him before taking a small bite. "You sure you can't read minds?" I inquire around my mouth full of apple. "No, though it would be nice when it came to you. You constantly leave me wondering what's going on inside that beautiful head of yours. That is, unless it comes to food. You always want food." He says chuckling to himself at his little joke.

I love food, and I will not apologize for it.

"What is it that you're wondering about then?" I ask him, curious to know what kind of things he ponders about when it comes to me. "Why I can smell anxiety basically seeping through your pores when I mention you being my mate." He states plainly.

And just like the first time.. Anxiety.

"You don't have to answer me, Eden. Not if you don't want to." He says calmly, no emotion present in his words. It's like after we left the Inn this morning he's been wearing almost a constant mask of indifference.

"It's just a lot to take in, Jericho.. Being mates is a big thing.. And I honestly have no idea what all it means to be a Reapers mate other than.. we're meant to be together. And then everything with Aries going on, my heart is already torn over it.. My constant worry about my coven left behind.. How do you know you even want me as your mate, Jericho? You know almost nothing about me.." I trail off.

I'm a broken woman.

"I've lived longer than most can even comprehend, I've longed for the day I'd find my mate- find you. There's very few things that would keep me from pursuing our mate bond." He states.

"But what would some things be that would keep you from doing so?" I ask, and he raises a brow before answering me. "If you were a cruel person, did horrible things for the thrill of it, preyed upon the weak in any way.. I guess bad morals would keep me away." He finishes.

"Bad morals would keep a demon away?" I ask, the thought seeming odd.

"I may be a creation of Hades.. But I'm not an evil creature, Eden. I don't just deliver souls to Hades, I also deliver them to the gates I'll never see the other side of. I'm not just a lowly demon. Being a Reaper is my purpose, and I didn't get a say in the matter. I don't just take the souls of selfish beings who sold their soul for power and gold.. I'm also forced to take the soul of the young father who foolishly sold his soul so his family could eat properly for all their days to come.. I take the souls of the departed to the spirit world. I'm not evil, Eden. I didn't choose this path." He says without looking at me even once.

My words obviously hurt him, and looking back at what I just said I can see how absolutely heartless I just came across..

He's even told me all people ever see is an evil monster when they look at him.. Am I really so different from them? Assuming he has no morals just because of what he is..