Chapter 8

That night, I couldn't sleep. There was simply too much going on in my head, too many spiraling thoughts, like a tornado, threatening to pull me down with them.

Frank confirmed that he was in the hospital. He basically straight-up told me he was in the same hospital at the same time that Lindsey was.

He said his mom talked about Mikey and I. But why? Why did I stick in her mind? I was just a guy waiting to learn whether or not his girlfriend was okay.

But I guess the same thing happened when I saw his mom.

Little things about her caught my eye: the way she was tapping her foot nervously, the way she just stared into space as tears rolled down her face, how she didn't make an effort to wipe them away.

My thoughts were interrupted by Mikey yelling.

I bolted out of bed and up both staircases at what must have been a record-breaking speed, and I nearly pushed down his fucking bedroom door to see find him crying and saying names in his sleep: first it was mine, then our grandma's, then Patrick and Ray, and I turned on his lamp and gently started shaking him awake.

"Mikey," I said gently, "Mikey, wake up. It's just a dream, Mikes. Please wake up." His body jolted, and he looked up at me, tears in his eyes.

"Gerard..." I could tell whatever nightmare he'd had was a bad one, because his hands were shaking. "I thought it was real," He cried as I sat next to him and hugged him after he sat up.

"I know, Mikey. Don't worry. Everybody's alright," I soothed as I ran a hand through his hair. His body started shaking as he cried.

"I thought you were gone... I thought Ray and Patrick and you were all gone... I didn't know what to do. I was just standing there in a white room with blood on all the walls..." He cried into my shoulder.

"Do you want me to sleep in here with you?" He nodded, sniffling.

"I'll go get blankets," I started to climb out of the bed, but his grip tightened on my shirt.

"You can share the bed with me," He said through tears. I said nothing, just wrapped my arms around his skinny body and hugged my brother until he fell asleep again.

Poor kid. He always had nightmares like this when something happened. He had them every night after our grandma died. I had basically moved into his room, sleeping in it almost every night, waking him up and taking care of him when he had a nightmare. They come to him normally, and they usually leave him like this: crying, shaking and not wanting to be left alone.

-

"Hey, Gee," Mikey's voice woke me up.

"Hm?" I stirred, rolling onto my back.

"Get up. Brendon slept over at Patrick's place and I told them we'd go pick them up before school," Yawned Mikey as he got off the bed and went to the bathroom.

"Why is Bren at Patrick's?" I asked from the other side of the bathroom door.

"Beats me," He replied, opening the door and walking out.

"Call Frank and ask if he wants a ride, too," I called as I walked out of his room and down the stairs.

"Oh, of course, I wouldn't dream of leaving your boyfriend behind!" He called down jokingly.

"We hardly fucking know each other!"

"You're in denial!" I rolled my eyes and walked into my room, pulling out a worn black sweater and some skinny jeans, pulling them on and walking into my bathroom, brushing my hair out with my fingers.